MSc / PGDip / PGCert / CPD
- Course length MSc
- 18 months full-time / 2.5 years part-time
- Course length PGDip
- 1 year full-time / 2 years part-time
- Course length PGCert
- 0.5 years full-time/1 year part-time
- CPD 20-credit modules
- 0.5 years full-time
- Fees (Home/EU)
- View tuition fees
- Fees (International)
- View tuition fees
The global aviation industry is experiencing significant growth, with airlines welcoming 4.3 billion passengers in 2018 - up from 3.8 billion in previous years, according to the International Air Transport Association. Alongside this growth, the industry continues to operate within a rapidly changing environment, facing challenges in sustaining competitiveness while offering safe and efficient passenger experiences. As a result, there is strong demand for managers who possess high-level knowledge and skills to succeed in this exciting industry.
This course focuses on passenger aviation operations and management while enabling you to specialise in a range of business/management subject areas. This flexibility means you can tailor the course to fit your particular career aspirations within a range of aviation organisations such as airlines, airports, airport authorities, civil aviation departments and aviation consultancies.
UCB is one of the Institute of Travel and Tourism's recognised Centres of Excellence and our course has been developed with industry professionals. The course focuses on enhancing your management potential by developing your critical thinking, leadership, problem-solving, creativity, communication, research and analytical skills, enabling you to make an immediate impact on an aviation organisation.
During your studies, you will have a number of opportunities to engage with industry experts through our 'live' consultancy projects, visiting speaker programme, creative dialogue sessions, industry mentor scheme and industry events as well as through our links with professional bodies. There is also the opportunity to undertake an optional placement.
One exciting feature of this course is the international live industry project, where you will travel to an overseas destination and apply your skills and knowledge to a real industry consultancy context. Previous students have completed projects in the Gambia, the Azores (Portugal), the Canaries, Cyprus, Madeira and Dubai.
Why should I choose this course?
- UCB is an Institute of Travel & Tourism ‘Centre of Excellence’ and a leading provider of innovative undergraduate and postgraduate courses with a national and international reputation.
- You will network and engage with industry, including having the benefit of a ‘professional mentor’ to offer career guidance and advice throughout the duration of your course.
- We place a strong focus on experiential and action learning to ensure the development of high-level skills and knowledge.
- The ‘international live industry project’ is a fantastic opportunity to travel abroad, gain experience and use the skills you develop on your course in a real industry environment.
- UCB’s well-developed international links are reflected in our thriving international student body, which makes for a diverse and friendly atmosphere.
As part of UCB's ongoing investment, students on this course will have use of exciting new simulation facilities, including a state-of-the-art, mock plane cabin. The facilities also include check-in areas and Galileo GDS system for training students. Find out more.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about University College Birmingham and the areas you are interested in studying. Discover more about our wide range of courses and cutting-edge facilities at our next postgraduate open day.
Accreditations and Endorsements
Teaching and assessment
Lectures, guest speakers, seminars, creative dialogues, industry events and e-learning activities will facilitate your advanced learning and skill development in this exciting, global aviation industry. There is also a range of action-learning opportunities through scenario-planning, simulations and industry live projects
You will be assessed through consultancy projects, case study analysis, professional presentations, business reports, essays, discussions and debates and an individual research project (for those undertaking the MSc). All assessments are individually-marked.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
- MA/MSc - A grade classification of 2:2 is required or international equivalent
- PGDip - A grade classification of third-class is required or international equivalent
- A subject related UK or International honours degree from a recognised institution
- We also consider applicants who are currently employed and wish to apply to UCB.
- To apply, you must have 5 years of relevant managerial work experience, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of the sector for the subject matter you are interested in pursuing.
- A reference detailing your roles and responsibilities from your line manager and a meeting with the programme team will usually be scheduled prior to a place being offered.
If your degree is not related and you do not have relevant managerial work experience please contact admissions, so that we can discuss your application on an individual basis before you apply.
If you have any queries, please email:
Options - choose one (semester 1)
Options - choose one (semester 2)
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
You will have the opportunity to undertake an optional six-month placement on the successful completion of the taught part of your course. You are required to secure your own placement with the support of our highly experienced hired@UCB team, who have a diverse mix of experience in a wide variety of industries.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the global aviation industry.
Graduating with this MSc will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Airport and airline operations and planning
- Airport and airline business development
- Aviation marketing and digital media
- Aviation consultancy
- Aviation authorities
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service, designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based in new facilities on the ground floor of Moss House, in newly-refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.