A career in the rapidly-growing events sector requires managers with robust communication, leadership and managerial skills to create the “wow” factor. This course seeks to develop these employability attributes.
This top-up course will provide you with detailed information regarding events planning, financial management, project management and marketing and risk management, facilitating an effective platform to launch your career.
Managing events is exciting and the potential for graduates is considerable. Opportunities are varied and can lead to careers in sub sectors of the industry such as meetings and exhibitions, sporting events, festivals, wedding planning and incentive travel.
Why should I chose this course?
- By taking this top-up, you can continue to develop your academic and practical skills in preparation for a successful career within the industry.
- You will receive a comprehensive understanding of the sector and the processes involved in creating a successful event.
- You will be given detailed information about events systems, project management and how to oversee a live event.
- You will be taught how to manage large scale events such as conferences, concerts, product launches, festivals and carnivals.
- You will visit a European destination in your final year as a residential visit.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and in a typical week you will have up to 14 contact hours of teaching made up as follows:-
- Large group teaching - 6 hours of lectures
- Smaller group teaching - 3 hours of teaching in smaller groups discussing topics relevant to the modules. This will also include computer based activities
- Tutorials - 3 hours of tutorials (involving personal, group and academic sessions each week)
- Subject advice sessions - 2 hours per week
- Field trips and visits - An average of 25 hours each year
You will need to apportion approximately 20 hours per week of your own study time in preparation for lectures and preparing for and completing assessments. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material. Students who study Professional Events Practice in years 1 & 2 are expected to accumulate, on average, 8 hours of work experience per week (360 hours).
You will attend one day per week. The timetable is made up of one module per semester with a total of three semesters in total. The research module is started in semester one and completed in Semester three.
- Smaller group teaching - students are timetabled for a 3 hour session per week
- Tutorials - 1 hour is timetabled per week consisting of a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials.
You will need to apportion approximately 10 hours per week outside of the timetabled hours. Some weeks the amount of time you need for personal study will increase, especially when completing assessments. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
The following assessment criteria applies to both the full and part-time route and is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used. There is a strong focus on the vocational nature of this course including live project work and industry based assignments.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 70%
- Practical Assessment - 5%
- Written Examination - 25%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.]
Academic: A relevant HND or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic: European and International qualifications studied in a relevant subject matter will also be considered applicants will need to have achieved 120 ECTS or equivalent (European Credit Transfer)
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email
Plus one option from:
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
UCB encourages you to seek as much industry experience and exposure throughout your studies and we work with industry providers to offer you a variety of opportunities (paid and voluntary).
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the events sector. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding work that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
Graduates with proven managerial skills, drive and leadership can progress quickly.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Convention and exhibition centres
- Festivals and cultural events
- Sporting events
- Events management companies
- Charity promotion and fundraising
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises specialist staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.