Why choose this college course?
- RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION – This Access to Higher Education Diploma will give you a nationally-recognised qualification to help meet the entry requirements for university
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Gain the necessary study skills and key knowledge for your chosen subject or career, as well as the independent learning skills needed for university study
- GREAT LEARNING SUPPORT – Enjoy a positive and supportive learning experience that will develop your skills and confidence to progress onto higher education
- MOVE UP TO UNIVERSITY – Continue your learning journey to the next level at University College Birmingham, such as on our business or finance and accounting degrees
Students on our business courses at University College Birmingham enjoy a wealth of practical learning opportunities in our cutting-edge Financial Trading Suite on campus.
Our new Financial Trading Suite is one of the largest among all UK universities, providing practical training for students on our finance, accounting and business courses
The Financial Trading Suite features 21 workstations, two large wall screens and a scrolling ticker providing real-time global market information
Our Financial Trading Suite is the first university trading suite in the country to be powered by Infront Professional Terminal, offering unique benefits in using and sharing data
Topics you will study
- Introduction to Business Studies
- Business and Organisation Structures
- Principles of Business Strategy
- Business Studies Research Project
- Introduction to Marketing
- Principles of Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Research Project
- Business Finance
- Cash Flow Forecasting
- Investigating Management
- Introduction to Economics
- Study Skills
- Further Study Skills
Our Access to Higher Education Diploma course has been designed for students who have not had the opportunity to access higher education.
- Applicants must have a minimum of GCSE English Language or Maths at grade 4 (grade C) or Functional Skills Level 2.
- Applicants who do not hold GCSEs in the above subjects will be required to also achieve a Level 2 in Numeracy and Literacy initial assessments. These assessments will take place on campus for candidates who have been successful at interview.
- Applicants will also be required to submit a reference from a previous or current employment role.
There may be the opportunity to study either GCSE English Language/maths alongside the course as part of your studies.
If you choose to take advantage of this potential opportunity, please note that we cannot guarantee classes will fall within the 10am-3pm timetable.
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed using a variety of methods including coursework assignments, examinations and projects.
Each unit can be assessed by one or more assignments. If you have achieved all of the Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria then you will pass the unit. It can then be graded, which allows for each unit to be achieved at Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Access to HE Diplomas are made up of 60 credits. 45 of these are at Level 3 and graded. The remaining 15 credits are not graded and may be at Level 2 or Level 3. You must successfully achieve 60 credits to be awarded a Diploma.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2021-2024.
Access to Higher Education.
Accreditations, endorsements and partnerships
University College Birmingham works with a wide range of organisations to ensure you receive the best possible training and qualifications recognised by industry.
The Access to HE Diploma in Business is a fantastic opportunity to help you achieve the career you’ve always dreamed of. You will learn all about the world of business, including topics such as marketing, finance and management, as well as conducting research projects to apply your knowledge. This is a hugely rewarding course which will change your life as you gain the skills you need for your future.
This course is designed to enable your progression onto higher education. Depending on entry requirements, you could continue onto a degree at University College Birmingham, such as Business Enterprise, Finance and Accounting, Digital Marketing or Marketing Management.
With further study, possible future career options open to you include:
Average Salary: £35,714
Average Salary: £29,346
Marketing executive (graduate)
Average Salary: £37,500
Average Salary: £20,198
Project manager (graduate)
Average Salary: £39,197
Average Salary: £27,299
Note: The example roles and salaries are intended as a guide only.
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.