of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – From business knowledge to skills such as teamwork, independent research, creative thinking and presentation, arm yourself with the tools for your future
- MOVE UP TO UNIVERSITY – This business diploma is designed to support your progression to degree-level study
- GET CAREER-READY – Want to get straight into work? From marketing or advertising to finance, enterprise and more, this course will open up a huge range of business opportunities
During the course, you will undertake seven mandatory (compulsory) units and six optional units:
- Developing a marketing campaign
- Personal and business finance
- Exploring business
- Recruitment and selection
- Managing an event
- Pitching for a new business
- Principles of management
- Business decision making
- Work experience in business
- International business
- Investigating retail business
- Employment law
- Training and development
Please note: Units/topics of study are subject to change
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Our business lecturers are looking for students who are enthusiastic and passionate about business, together with a keen determination to succeed in the industry, so please contact Admissions if you do not have the specific requirements outlined below.
If you are unsure if your qualification is equivalent or if you wish to check if you meet the entry requirements for this course, please call 0121 214 2919, email firstname.lastname@example.org or use our live chat.
4 GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C), including English Language and Maths, or equivalent.
English and maths
As applicants are required to achieve English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C) prior to entering this course, University College Birmingham will not offer English or Maths alongside the Business and Finance course.
Supporting documents required
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
- If you are a school leaver (over 19), you will be required to provide a reference from a previous education provider or employer in support of your application.
Students who achieve 56 UCAS points or more from this qualification will automatically be guaranteed a place on a degree course at University College Birmingham. Some undergraduate courses require additional entry requirements, so applicants are advised to check entry requirements before applying.
Teaching and assessment
There is a strong element of practical assessment in the form of internal assignments and external tasks and written exams. Assessment and tasks include writing essays and reports, business research, debates and presentations.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2021-2024.
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our Hired employability team can help find the ideal placement for you.
Work placement will form an essential part of your individual study programme and you will be expected to complete an appropriate placement related to your business course.
Work alongside experts in your sector
A snapshot of some of the employers we have worked with:
- The Albion Foundation (West Bromwich)
- Birmingham City FC (Birmingham)
- Birmingham Jazz (Birmingham)
- YMCA (Birmingham)
- Coinadrink (Walsall)
I had heard about the reputation of the Business School and I knew the course would lead me on to the degree I wanted. I’m really enjoying the course so far because it does more than simply overload you with new information – you’re given time to learn and grow independently.
The example roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Average salary: £26,500 – £30,500
Advertising account executive
Average Salary: £35,000
Average Salary: £29,250
Average Salary: £24,000
Average Salary: £32,500
IT support technician
Average salary: £19,000 – £29,000
Aspiring to a higher level career? Complete this course and you could progress onto our Business Enterprise degree.
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.
From a placement with a prominent estate agency to a trip to the London Stock Exchange, Jacob couldn’t have got more from his course.