To be successful in today’s business environment, graduates require a broad understanding of all areas of business from business economics, e-marketing, sales, research and human resources. The final year top-up course will also give you the opportunity to develop your own business plan. The final year project also provides an ideal opportunity to tailor your research towards a sector of the market that is geared towards your personnel career aspirations.
Throughout the final year, students will also learn about risk management and how to adapt and evolve quickly to ensure we manage risks and minimise their threats.
Why should I choose this course?
- If you are thinking of beginning your career in the business industry or setting up your own business, the top-up course will give you the knowledge and skills you need to succeed.
- You will learn about the business environment as a whole and gain a thorough understanding of both traditional and contemporary business functions and practices.
- You will learn how to evaluate the success of business activities through a range of innovative assessments including e-debates, academic posters, action plans and management reports.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and in a typical week you will have up to 14 contact hours of teaching made up as follows:
- Large group teaching - 5 hours of lectures in lecture room
- Smaller group teaching - 7 hours of teaching in smaller groups discussing topics relevant to the modules. This will also include computer-based activities
- Tutorials - 2 hours of tutorials (involving personal, group and academic sessions each week)
You will need to apportion approximately 20 hours per week of your own study time in preparation for lectures and preparing for and completing assessments. UCB Online provides 24 hour access to learning and support material.
You will attend one day per week. The timetable is made up of one module per semester with three semesters in total. The research module is started in semester one and completed in Semester three.
- Smaller group teaching - students are timetabled for a 5 hour session per week
- Tutorials - 1 hour is timetabled per week consisting of a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials.
You will need to apportion approximately 10 hours per week outside of the timetabled hours. Some weeks the amount of time you need for personal study will increase, especially when completing assessments. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
The following assessment criteria applies to both the full and part-time route and is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used. There is a strong focus on the vocational nature of this course including live project work and industry-based assignments.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 70%
- Practical assessment - 22%
- Written examinations - 8%
Course work could include: building professional portfolios; conducting situation and marketing analyses; and generating management reports and audits. Practical assessment could include: presentations (individual and group) and using creativity and problem-solving skills to generate business solutions.
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Academic: A relevant HND or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email: email@example.com
Academic: European and International qualifications studied in a relevant subject matter will also be considered applicants will need to have achieved 120 ECTS or equivalent (European Credit Transfer)
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
UCB encourages you to seek as much industry experience and exposure throughout your studies and we work with industry providers to offer you a variety of opportunities (paid and voluntary).
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the events sector. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding work that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
Upon successful completion of this course, previous students have started their own businesses, whilst others have developed careers in a wide variety of business sectors.
Graduating with this degree will enable to pursue a career path in:
- Business enterprise
- Sales and marketing
- Business development
- Small business consultation
- Product development
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Mohammed Mukul Ali