of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- WORK PLACEMENT – Our excellent links with the beauty therapy sector provide you with a wide range of opportunities to boost your CV with vital industry experience
- PRACTICAL APPLICATION – 'Learn by doing' with hands-on training in our on-campus salons, enabling you to master your technical skills working with real-life customers
- MOVE UP TO UNIVERSITY – Want to continue your learning journey after college? Progress your training to degree level on one of our university courses
University College Birmingham's state-of-the-art salons are open to the general public and all treatments are carried out by our students, providing you with the essential skills to gain future employment.
Our beauty suites provide a real working environment where you will be trained to a high professional standard
Training in our salons, you will use the latest Dermalogica and Eve Taylor facial products, make-up by NYX and the latest beauty industry standard equipment
Topics you will study:
- Consultation techniques and client care
- Skin types analysis
- Manicure treatments
- Pedicure treatments
- Waxing services
- Eyebrow shaping services
- Eyelash and eyebrow tinting services
- Makeup applications
- Anatomy and physiology for beauty therapists
- Electrical science
- Facial electrical treatments
- Body electrical treatments
- Client care and communication
- Body analysis
- Skin analysis
- Anatomy and physiology for the face and body systems
- Swedish massage therapy
- Mechanical massage
- Health and safety in the salon
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Maths and English
To help you secure your dream career, you will also continue developing your maths and English skills alongside your full-time course. If you haven’t achieved GCSE grade 4/C in English and maths at age 16, you will continue to study these through resits or taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
How maths will support your career
- Ratio is very important when mixing hair dye etc.
- Basic addition and subtraction are important in calculating the costs of equipment and products and managing the stock
- Percentages are key in working out customer discounts
- Area and perimeter are important when designing and arranging a salon space
How English will support your career
- Accurate spelling and a wide and specialist vocabulary are key in the presentation of hair and beauty products and services
- Good quality speaking and listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues
- Customer service requires good English skills in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is a vital skill when following instructions in hair/beauty products and treatments
- Secure English is important when preparing a CV or a business proposal, or when advertising/marketing your business
Our beauty lecturers are looking for students who are committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed in the beauty industry, so please contact Admissions if you do not have the specific requirements outlined below.
If you are unsure if your qualification is equivalent or if you wish to check if you meet the entry requirements for this course, please call 0121 214 2919, email email@example.com or use our live chat.
Beauty Therapy Level 2
- 4 GCSEs at grade 3 (grade D) or above, or equivalent.
- A minimum GCSE English Language and Maths at grade 2 (grade E) is also required.
Supporting documents required
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
- If you are a school leaver (over 19), you will be required to provide a reference from a previous education provider or employer in support of your application.
Guaranteed progression option
Students who achieve Level 2 Beauty Therapy and receive approval from the University College Birmingham teaching team will be permitted to progress onto Level 3 Beauty Therapy or Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects, Hair And Media Make-up.
Beauty Therapy Level 3
- A relevant Level 2 qualification in Beauty or Beauty Therapy.
- GCSE English and maths at grade 3/D are desirable for entrance but not essential.
Work experience admissions pathway
2 years’ relevant beauty industry experience. Admissions will be based on your interview performance alongside a reference stating the roles and responsibilities held during your period of employment.
Supporting documents required
School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
Guaranteed progression option
Students who achieve Level 3 Beauty Therapy will be automatically guaranteed an offer for Aesthetic Practitioner FdA or Specialist Hair and Media Make-up FdA. Students who wish to study other degree courses at University College Birmingham will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice and guidance on suitability.
English and maths
If you do not have a grade 4/C or above in English and maths and you are under 19, you will be required to study these subjects alongside your vocational subject. After enrolment you will complete an assessment with our teaching team so we can ensure you receive appropriate English and maths support.
Applicants over 19 are not required to complete maths and English.
Students who achieve 56 UCAS points or more from this qualification will automatically be guaranteed a place on a degree course at University College Birmingham. Some undergraduate courses require additional entry requirements, so applicants are advised to check entry requirements before applying.
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed through two external exams and one graded synoptic exam.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2021-2024.
Uniform and kit costs
This course requires a uniform and kit costing approximately £110 for Level 2 or £95 for Level 3, depending on the items you purchase. (Prices are subject to change each year – exact costs and information on how to order required items will be provided to you prior to enrolment.)
You may be eligible for the Learner Support Fund, which assists college students with course-related costs such as essential uniform, equipment and travel. For more information, please visit our Financial Support for College Students page.
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our hired@UCB team can help find the ideal placement for you.
Our Beauty Therapy course offers work placements in a variety of settings, with opportunities in hotels and spas, nail salons, hair and beauty salons or pamper events.
Work alongside experts in your sector
A snapshot of some of the employers we have worked with:
- Bannatyne Health Club and Spa (Brindleyplace and Sutton Coldfield)
- Park Regis Shakina Spa (Birmingham)
- Heaven Skin Care (Shenstone)
- Rio Spa Beauty (Bearwood)
- Monalia Beauty Spa (Sutton Coldfield)
I chose to study at UCB because it is one of the best for beauty therapy and the beauty salon is amazing. I enjoy working at the salon in the college as we can apply the knowledge and theory that we have learned, as well as work with clients.
The example roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Average Salary: £17,500
Average Salary: £15,600
Average Salary: £17,442
Average Salary: £21,046
Area manager (retail)
Average Salary: £34,762
Average Salary: £21,849
Aspiring to a higher level career? Complete this course and you could progress onto our Aesthetic Practitioner degree.
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.