New Students 

Before you arrive

Before you start your course at University College Birmingham, check this list to make sure that you have done all of the things on it that apply to you. Some of them you should have done already.

  • If you are a new full-time UK undergraduate student, you should have applied to Student Finance England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland to establish your eligibility for a maintenance grant and entitlement to the full student loan. See the Money Matters section in this Handbook for further information.
  • If you are a new full-time undergraduate student from a European Union country other than the UK, you should have applied to the EU Customer Services Team of the Student Loan Company to establish your eligibility for a loan towards tuition fees. See the Money Matters section in this Handbook for further details.
  • If you have a medical condition that might, in your opinion, affect your academic performance or have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, you should have already contacted our Disability Support team located on the sixth floor of the University’s Link Building. The Disability Support team can be emailed at, or you can call them on 0121 232 4497.
  • You should ensure that you have organised your accommodation and paid any deposit or rent. If you wish to stay in a University College Birmingham Hall of Residence you should have completed the online Accommodation Application Form available from the Accommodation section. Upon receiving your contract, to secure your accommodation you must forward a refundable deposit of £200 together with a pre-payment of £275.
  • If you are a full-time student on a course which will bring you into contact with young children and/or vulnerable adults, then you will need to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check before you can undertake a work placement. This is a statutory requirement, designed to protect children and/or vulnerable adults. You should have received details from University College Birmingham of what you need to do but if you have not please contact hired@UCB on 0121 604 1000 ext 2398.
  • If you are a student on a course subject to Fitness to Practise requirements, you will also be required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check and should bring with you any documents necessary for this.
  • Check the induction and registration dates and times which have been sent to you.
  • Ensure that you complete and return any forms as requested by University College Birmingham as soon as you are able.
  • If you are entitled to a student grant and/or loan and want to have the first instalment available to you when you register at University College Birmingham, return the Declaration Form to Student Finance England/Wales/Scotland. 

Contact our Disability Support team View our accommodation


Documents to bring with you

Please ensure that you bring the following items with you to Birmingham, if you do not live locally:

  • Evidence of entry qualifications (original copies required)
  • Documents required for assessing your fees and arranging payment (see the relevant section).  Please remember to keep at least one copy for yourself.
  • If you have a medical condition, mental health difficulty or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia that you feel may cause you to require alternative assessment arrangements and/or additional academic support, please bring a copy of the medical or other appropriate evidence. (An educational psychologist’s report should be no more than two years old at the time of registration).
  • If you are eligible for student loans and grants, they will become available shortly after University College Birmingham have confirmed your registration. Make sure you have returned your Declaration Form to Student Finance to avoid unnecessary delays.
  • Ensure you have enough funds to cover your first few weeks at University as your student loan will not be available immediately.

When you arrive

Be sure to attend the induction and enrolment sessions for your course. When you enrol, you will collect your student ID card. You should ensure that you bring the following items with you to enrolment:

  • Letter of Unconditional Offer from UCAS;
  • Evidence of entry qualifications;
  • Necessary documents for fees assessment/payment (see below)

Now you have arrived

  • It is essential that you register with a doctor and/or dentist in the area where you are living while at University College Birmingham. Information regarding registering with a doctor and/or dentist is available either from the University College Birmingham Nurse, the Student Services Unit, or, in the case of residents of the Maltings or Cambrian House Halls of Residence, in the information pack provided to you upon arrival. UCB works closely with the Halcyon Medical Centre located in Bath Row. Representatives from the practice will be available to discuss registration at various events after you have arrived.
  • Become a member of the National Union of Students (NUS). Membership is free, although a charge entitles you to admission at concessionary rates to theatres, cinemas and other places of entertainment, reduced price travel on national and regional coach, bus and rail networks, and many other privileges.
  • Make the most of your time at the University College Birmingham by visiting the Guild of Students Fresher’s Fayre held in the Maltings sports hall at the start of term. This will introduce you to the numerous clubs and societies existing in the University, along with other organisations providing services to students. If you are seeking part-time work, it will also be a chance for you to find out about hired@UCB and to meet some employers.
  • If you will be living out of walking distance from University College Birmingham, you might want to consider purchasing a travel pass. Network West Midlands offers student-rate term passes for use on the bus, train and metro. Further information and ticket prices can be found here.
Back to top