Help at Hand

Academic Teams

Key members of staff

The key members of staff you will have contact with are: your Personal Tutor, your Module Lecturers, your Assistant Dean of School and the Dean of School.

On this page you will also find some details of other support that you may need during your time at UCB, such as The Student Services Unit and hired@UCB, which is the Careers and Employability Suite.

Personal Tutor

You should keep in contact with your Personal Tutor at all times throughout your course. Your Personal Tutor will give help and advice on any matters which may affect your work and progression, together with any initial personal advice.

You should use your time with your Personal Tutor to discuss your academic performance and what targets you should set to achieve. Your Personal Tutor will also be able to give you feedback on your assignment and exam performance.

On your timetable there is a tutorial hour where your Personal Tutor will be available. This is the time when you should see your Personal Tutor to discuss your academic progress, or any other general concerns that you may have.

Ensure that you find out and note the name and room number of your Personal Tutor.

Module Lecturers

Over your years of study you will receive lectures from many different staff. It is common for a module to be taught by a team of teachers, who together will deliver lectures and seminars and mark your work. Details of the lecturing team for a module can be found on Canvas @ UCB.

Assistant Dean of School

The Assistant Dean of School is the line manager of your Personal Tutor. They have responsibility for the management of your course.

You can see your Assistant Dean of School if your Personal Tutor is away, or if you have a problem relating to your course which you consider serious and would prefer to discuss with a member of staff at a higher level.

You should also speak to your Assistant Dean of School if you wish to apply for exemption from any of the modules on your course.

Dean of School

The Dean of School is the line manager of the Assistant Dean of School. They have overall responsibility for a range of Higher Education courses and report directly to the Pro-Vice–Chancellor (Curriculum and Student Experience).

If you have a problem relating to your course, which you have not been able to resolve satisfactorily with your Year Manager or Assistant Dean of School, you should discuss it with your Dean of School.

Notices about your course

You will find that information relating to your course is constantly being placed on Canvas @ UCB, which is UCB’s e-learning environment. Information can include times for tutorials, assignment information, guest lectures and residentials. You should check Canvas at least twice a week.

Details of when and where examinations take place and your results can also be found on Canvas.

Study Support

Support for the academic needs of students is available through the Centre for Academic Skills and English (CASE). For advice and assistance, call in to CASE on the Sixth Floor of The Link.

Further details

Student Services

Student Services is a one stop shop for all students, providing information, advice and guidance on non-academic matters. A range of support is available through the Student Services Unit and there is no need to arrange an appointment, just drop in and speak to a member of the team.


The University owns and manages accommodation for more than 800 students at our purpose-built halls of residence in central Birmingham.

The Maltings

The Maltings student accommodation is owned and managed by University College Birmingham and is situated in the heart of the city on Granville Street, between Broad Street and Bath Row. The name was inspired by the brewery formerly based at the site.

The Maltings is popular with students attending the University for the first time. It is conveniently located only 10 to 15 minutes’ walk from the main campus and comprises 827 study bedrooms, including 809 en-suite rooms, of which five are twins.

Further details, costs and virtual tours can be seen on the Accommodation section.


Financial Support

In addition to the loans and grants available, there are other means of financial support and funding for some students who fit particular circumstances.


All full-time university (higher education) students should apply to Student Finance England for help with childcare costs. The amount you can receive depends on your financial circumstances. The application form (CCG1) is available from the Gov.UK site.

Need help finding suitable childcare?

For information about childcare providers, please visit 

Birmingham City Council's Childcare pages

Higher Education Access Fund

If you are a home or EU student studying a university (Higher Education) course and you fall into financial difficulty you may be able to access additional funding. In line with funding regulations, applications are prioritised for:

  • Students with dependent children, especially single parents
  • Mature students with existing financial commitments
  • Students with disabilities
  • Students who previously were in care or care leavers
  • Students who were homeless or living in a 'foyer' for young people

Please note: Each application is assessed individually by our student budget counsellor and the size of awards varies depending on individual circumstances and the level of need. Applying to the fund does not guarantee that an award will be made.

  • I haven't received my Student Finance, what can I do?

You may be able to access a short-term loan to cover your essential living costs until you receive your maintenance payments from Student Finance. You will need to provide the following evidence:

  • Proof of your application to Student Finance
  • A copy of your latest bank statement as evidence that you do not have the funds to financially support yourself.

Care Leavers

If you are a Care Leaver coming to study with us, you may be able to access additional financial support to help with your transition into university. The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 defines a care leaver as someone who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more following their 16th birthday.

Our financial support offer includes:

  • Funded pre-payment of rent (£275) and up to four weeks to pay your £200 security deposit if you choose to stay in UCB Halls of Residence
  • UniKitOut full kit out silver pack ( ready for when you move into our Halls of Residence
  • £200 cash payment in semester 2 (subject to satisfactory attendance)

The financial support offer is available to eligible students in their first year of study only.

In addition, you can access:

  • Pre-arrival budgeting advice and assistance with the Student Finance application process
  • Priority access to our HE Access Fund, if necessary
  • Summer accommodation at our Halls of Residence

For further information on any of the above forms of support, please visit the Financial Support section.

Financial Support

Back to top