The University is committed to providing our students with a rich and diverse educational experience that will support and shape both their personal and professional growth.
Our purpose is facilitating our graduates in developing and applying the required knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to equip them for life in a complex and rapidly changing world. In addition to their subject expertise the University’s graduates will develop the following attributes:
University College Birmingham students will develop the attributes of a global citizen through their individual course and by living and working within the multi-cultural university community:
- Respect for, and openness to global, cultural and societal diversity.
- The attitudes necessary to respond to the challenges of sustainability.
- The knowledge, skills and mind-set to become an employee in the trans-national community.
University College Birmingham courses all have a service industry focus and University College Birmingham graduates will develop their professionalism though learning, teaching and industry exposure:
- Qualities of integrity, responsibility, leadership, reflective practice and self-determination.
- An awareness of cross-cultural management practices.
- The ability to work professionally with collaborative communities.
Employers require graduates with skills in creative enquiry which University College Birmingham develops through assessment and practical work:
- The ability to use enquiry and problem solving techniques within a range of contexts.
- To recognise the importance of the ‘knowledge economy’ and the dynamic nature of knowledge.
University College Birmingham graduates will have acquired a range of literacies which are transferable to higher level study and the workplace:
- Effective communication techniques and emotional intelligence necessary to engage in a range of contexts.
- The ability to harness the appropriate use of digital technologies for a specific purpose.
- The ability to use data to create information and knowledge and make critical judgements on these.
Students will develop qualities of enterprise appropriate to the context of their course:
- The application of innovative and creative thinking to practical and theoretical challenges.
- Confidence to develop a global outlook on the development of ideas, designs and plans.
- Be able to lead new initiatives and add value in the workplace.
University College Birmingham graduates will be operating in the increasingly dynamic global market and will be encouraged to focus on the futures of the relevant sector:
- An understanding and openness to the concept of multiple and uncertain futures.
- Ability to adapt to and manage change.
- Skills in self-reflection to support engagement in continuing personal and professional development.
Assessments If Things Go Wrong
This page tells you what can happen if you fail a module and also how to apply for Extenuating Circumstances or make an appeal.Read More
Helping you to study
From our team of Subject Librarians are qualified Library and Information professionals to our CASE centre open to all students there is a number ways we can help with yo…Read More
IT at University College Birmingham
The IT support Unit, DICE, Web Developers and AV teams are all located in the ground floor of Camden House.Read More
Within your course, there are different ways in which content is delivered and different ways that you can explore ideas or concepts in depth in your own time through i…Read More
Some assignments, and most examination answers, will be required to be presented in the form of an essay. Here you can find all information on planning, paragraphing and conclud…Read More
Arising where work submitted by a student is not their own, but has been taken from another source.Read More
Placements are administered by a team of Employability Tutors based within hired@UCB on the Ground Floor of the Moss House Campus.Read More
Changing Your Course
Every year, some students decide that they wish to change their programme of study, and move either to another programme within University College Birmingham.Read More
University College Birmingham now also operates student exchanges with universities in Australia, Malaysia, Thailand and the USA.Read More
Come and visit us on one of our Open Days, where you can find out more about our courses, our facilities and speak to current students and staff.Read More