MSc / PGDip
- Course length MSc
- 1 year full-time / 2 years part-time
- Course length PGDip
- 1 year full-time / 2 years part-time
- Course length PGCert
- 6 months full-time / 1 year part-time
- Fees (Home/EU)
- View tuition fees
- Fees (International)
- View tuition fees
Our Finance and Accounting course is ideal for you if you are thinking of changing career or want to further develop your skills and knowledge having previously studied a different discipline. You will gain the skills you need to be a strong decision maker in an increasingly complex global financial environment, and develop the ability to deal with accounting and finance-related challenges facing local and international organisations.
The experiential approach used in the delivery of our course encourages you to take on opportunities to engage with real-world business problems throughout your studies. Working with ACCA, CIMA and ICAEW, the course is designed to ensure you are highly skilled upon graduating and enables you to apply for exemptions from professional exams. These include CIMA Fundamentals of Management Accounting and Management Accounting as well as ACCA Management Accounting, while you will also be able to apply for the CIMA Gateway examination.
Digital expertise, software skills and entrepreneurship are essential in an increasingly competitive market. Working closely with industry and professional practitioners, you will be exposed to the latest technology and become familiar with the digital tools used in the industry. You also have the opportunity to learn within a live environment in our new state-of-the-art Financial Trading Suite powered by the Infront Professional Terminal, which combines real-time global market data, news, analytics and electronic trading in one intuitive platform, putting financial markets at your fingertips. We also have an in-house resident trader who will bring your learning to life and enhance your practical skills.
What our staff and students say
This course has been specifically designed to ensure our students are competitive in the finance and accounting sectors. There is a particular focus on integrating digital skills development within the programme as there is a significant digital skills gap in the industry. We have invested in the latest technology and equipped our Financial Trading Suite with the latest facilities in order to ensure our students are exposed to industry relevant practice.
Why choose this course?
- Practical application - Our Financial Trading Suite, one of the largest among all UK universities, will support the development of your skills in professional trading
- Real-world experience - You will have the opportunity to work on live client cases with local and international businesses
- Develop your knowledge - You will gain a good level of knowledge of the key accounting and finance tools that are used in industry and everyday professional practice
- Specialise your studies - For your final project, you can research a topic that interests you and is relevant to your intended future employment
- Career-boosting skills – We have close links with employers such as NatWest, Santander and local SME accounting firms who have also been involved in the design of the course
UCB Financial Trading Suite
The new UCB Financial Trading Suite at McIntyre House is one of the largest among all UK universities and will provide practical training opportunities for students on courses at UCB's Business School and other finance-related modules across the University, as well as a professional development facility for industry partners.
Featuring 21 workstations, two large wall screens and a scrolling ticker providing real-time global market information, it is also the first university trading suite in the country to be powered by Infront Professional Terminal, offering unique benefits for staff and students in using and sharing data.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about University College Birmingham and the areas you are interested in studying. Discover more about our wide range of courses and cutting-edge facilities at our next postgraduate open day.
Accreditations and Endorsements
Teaching and assessment
Modules are delivered as a combination of lectures, small group seminars, workshops, one-to-one tutorials, group projects and self-directed study. You are expected to participate and contribute to each session. Canvas is used as a virtual learning environment to support your study. You will also be expected to engage with independent reading and research to ensure an interactive and personalised learning experience.
Some guest lectures are delivered by professionals in various industries to validate the relevance of taught materials to real business problems. Some modules may be offered as a block format delivery to ensure that the industry expertise of our guest lecturers is effectively shared.
Assessments are a mixture of exams and coursework including presentations, case studies, online debates, assessed seminars, executive reports and numerical computations. The Financial Trading Suite is used in teaching and assessment to give you the best possible practical learning experience.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
- MA/MSc - A grade classification of 2:2 is required or international equivalent
- PGDip - A grade classification of third-class is required or international equivalent
- A subject related UK or International honours degree from a recognised institution
- Applicant should have studied in a closely-related discipline that will enable you to meet the academic rigour of the course and understand the finance and accounting modules
- GCSE maths - Grade A*-C or 9-4, or equivalent Level 2 qualification
- We also consider applicants who are currently employed and wish to apply to UCB.
- To apply, you must have 5 years of relevant managerial work experience, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of the sector for the subject matter you are interested in pursuing.
- A reference detailing your roles and responsibilities from your line manager and a meeting with the programme team will usually be scheduled prior to a place being offered.
If you have any queries, please email:
Optional Modules (choose one)
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
What our employers say
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within your studies, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field.
The programme has a very strong skills development content, allowing those learners who have perhaps not come from a finance and accounting background a great opportunity to develop their practical and technical skills. The Financial Trading Suite is an absolutely fantastic tool to develop these skills further and ensure that graduates leave with an advantage. Similarly the course has a range of opportunities to gain work experience which is critical in our sector.
There are additional opportunities available too, including a recommendation for industry-supported mentoring schemes to guide you through your future career.
Graduating with this course will enable you to work in any organisation, covering roles such as a financial analyst, payroll outsourcer, company secretary, forensic accountant and stockbroker.
Your degree would also be useful for the following roles:
- Corporate finance
- Data analyst
- Management accountant
- Mortgage adviser
- Purchasing manager
- Retail banker
- Financial accountant
- Financial risk management
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills. Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps - UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.