Why choose A-levels at our sixth form centre?
- PREPARE FOR UNIVERSITY AT A UNIVERSITY – We can provide you with relevant work placements, masterclasses, guest speakers, trips and more
- AWARD-WINNING SUPPORT – We have won national awards for our student support, which our sixth form students can tap into, from tailored academic support to financial assistance and health and wellbeing services
- OUTSTANDING LEARNING FACILITIES - We have invested £5.5 million into our brand-new sixth form centre, which includes lecture theatres, classrooms, science and computer labs, practical training facilities and open study spaces
- MOVE UP TO UNIVERSITY – Want to keep studying at a higher level? This A-level will support your progression to degree level
To achieve your Further Maths A-level, you must study the following topics:
Further Pure Maths
- Group theory
- Complex numbers
- Linear algebra
- Differential equations
- Circular motion
- Random variables
- Poisson distribution
- Continuous random variables
- Hypothesis tests
- Confidence intervals
Decision and Discrete Mathematics
- Linear programming
- Critical path analysis
- You will need a grade 7 in GCSE Maths to study this A-level.
Supporting documents required
- School applicants will be required to provide a school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
Students who achieve 56 UCAS points or more from this qualification will automatically be guaranteed a place on a degree course at University College Birmingham. Some undergraduate courses require additional entry requirements, so applicants are advised to check entry requirements before applying.
We are creating something unique and special for Birmingham and I am delighted you are considering us for your next steps. Studying A-levels requires discipline and determination, but it is also incredibly rewarding, offering you a deep insight into the subjects you choose to study. Sixth form is also an opportunity for you to discover what’s important to you and how you want to make your mark on the world. Our aim is to support and challenge you through this, while developing your character and widening your horizons so you flourish, professionally and personally.
What will this course prepare you for?
Maths enhances and deepens your knowledge and will better prepare you for any mathematically-rich degree or STEM subject, or top tier Russell Group universities, many of which favourably adjust their grade requirements for those students who have studied Further Maths at A-level.
Further Maths is ideal for those wishing to be an actuary, astronomer, chartered accountant, data scientist, research scientist, engineer or statistician.
The example roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Average Salary: £40,000
Average Salary: £52,000
Average Salary: £55,000
Average Salary: £39,000
Average Salary: £42,000
Average Salary: £39,000
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.