Business Level 3 National Foundation/National Extended Diploma
- Course length
- 2 years full-time per level
You will obtain a strong grounding in general business management, allowing you to lay the foundations for a business-related university degree and a professional career.
You might go on to specialise in a particular area of business such as marketing, human resources or accounting. The beauty of this course is that it opens up a wide range of business opportunities.
In year one students enrol onto the National Foundation Diploma (equivalent to 1.5 A-levels) On successful completion of year one, students can progress onto the National Extended Diploma (equivalent 3 A-levels)
Both levels will equip you with the vital skills you need to enter employment directly after achieving the qualification at UCB.
Our expert lecturers will give you opportunities to:
- Showcase your skills through practical assessments.
- Underpin the knowledge and skills you will need to meet industry requirements.
- Acquire the transferable and high-level skills that are sought after by higher education institutions and employers.
Why should I choose this course?
- This work-related qualification which will open the door to higher education studies and professional careers.
- The course is designed with a clear purpose – to support progression to degree-level study or employment.
- It builds high-level skills such as teamwork, creative thinking and presentation skills – all of which are valued by employers.
- You will develop independent research and study skills, which are essential for success at university and are transferrable to the workplace.
Teaching and assessment
There is a strong element of practical assessment in the form of internal assignments and externally tasks and written exams.
The assessment and tasks include: writing essays; reports; business research; and debates and presentations. UCB is keen to ensure all students are given the opportunity to develop their practical skills through live client work and assessment. Our aim is to ensure you progress with a thorough understanding of how the business world ticks.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
· You will require a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) or above, including maths and English.
· Or a BTEC level 2 Diploma and GCSE English and maths at grade 4 (grade C) or above.
· Alternatively, at least 2 years’ relevant work experience.
· School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance.
· You should be committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed in the Business/Marketing and Enterprise industry.
What will I study?
During the course, you will undertake seven mandatory (compulsory) units and six optional units.
· Exploring Business
· Developing a Marketing Campaign
· Personal and Business Finance
· Managing an Event
· International Business
· Principles of Management
· Business Decision Making
· Recruitment and Selection Process
· Digital Marketing
· Pitching for New Business
· Work Experience in Business
· Employment Law
· Training and Development
Your study programme
In addition to your full-time course every student has an individual study programme which ensures that you develop the right skills and experience to progress onto either higher education or gain employment. What’s included in your individual study programme will vary depending on what you have already achieved and your career aspirations.
Work placement will form an essential part of your individual study programme and all students will be expected to complete an appropriate work placement related to their full-time course.
The ever-changing nature of the business sector means career opportunities are hugely varied and rewarding. A BTEC National Extended Diploma increase the likelihood of you getting a job due to the focus on the development of practical business skills.
You might be attracted by roles in:
- Marketing and advertising
- Finance, including accountancy
- Enterprise (starting your own business)
- The creative industries
- IT, software and computing
- General business management
You may want to build on your knowledge and take a higher level foundation degree or degree in a related field, such as Business Enterprise, Marketing Management or Digital Marketing, which could lead to higher paid jobs in the future.
The team at hired@UCB – our student placement and careers service – can help you with advice, information and guidance in finding a job. It can help you develop your work-related skills.
Based in new facilities on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist staff to help with:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Alumni support
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Level 3 Business