City and Guild 120, City and Guild 1261, City and Guild 1271, City and Guild 1272, City and Guild 1291, City and Guild 1301, City and Guild 3611, Postgraduate Certificate in Education, BSc (Hons)
Professional recognition / membership
North Western Regional Advisory Council for Further Education Certificate in Cake Decoration (Introductory)
I have been in the baking industry since the age of 15 when I worked in a small family bakery on a Saturday. I completed my City & Guilds Bakery qualifications at Blackpool and the Fylde College and worked as a trainee bakery manager for Asda. I graduated from the University of Plymouth after studying Food Product Development and enjoying a year's work placement in a flour mill.
I then joined the British Bakeries product development team, initially developing products for M&S and progressing to be Hovis Product Development Manager, developing Hovis Best of Both, Seed Sensations, Hearty Oats and many others. I then joined the global bakery ingredients company Puratos and worked with customers such as Allied Bakeries and Warburtons. After joining Campden BRI I was promoted to Bakery Technology Manager and worked internationally with companies such as PepsiCo, Domino's and McDonald's as well as consulting with companies in France, Saudi Arabia, Portugal, Belgium and Ireland. I joined the University College Birmingham bakery team in September 2015 in order to teach both FE and HE bakery students.
• Over 25 years working in the bakery industry internationally
• Previous job roles include Bakery Technical Manager at Campden BRI, Product Development Manager at Hovis and Senior Bakery Technologist for Industrial Applications for Puratos
• Council member for the ABST (Alliance for Bakery Students and Trainees)
• Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Bakery
• Advisory Board member: Bakery Apprenticeship Programme
• Member of the British Society of Baking
• International Judge for the World Bread Championships (Mondial du Pain)
1305 Contemporary Bread Production – Module Leader
1333 Food Production Management – Module Leader
Bakery & Patisserie Technology Level 5 - Year Manager
Research interests and scholarly activity
Bakery Skills and Bakery Science. Bakery processes, ingredients & technology.
Member of The Institute of Science and Technology.