Higher Education Students

In addition to the loans and grants available, there are other means of financial support and funding for some students who fit particular circumstances.

Student Finance for new students

Information about what you can apply for from Student Finance and how to apply is available here, along with other useful information, such as if you are paying the tuition fees yourself.

EU students can apply through Student Finance for a tuition fee loan in order to pay for your course, whilst you are studying towards your first undergraduate degree or PGCE. More information, including migrant worker applications, can be found here.

Postgraduate loan

English and EU students studying a full Masters (MA/MSc) course (i.e. the full 180 credits) may be eligible for a Postgraduate loan from Student Finance if you meet the relevant criteria. Please note if you are planning on studying the MA/MSc (but will be exempt one or more modules) or if you are planning on studying the Postgraduate Diploma, these courses will not be eligible for a Postgraduate loan.

Student Finance for returning students

For each year of your studies, you must apply for your student loan gov.uk/student-finance

You can apply from May 2022. However, your loan won’t be cleared until you complete online registration.

Within a week of receiving your results in July, you will then receive an email from UCB requesting that you complete online registration for the next academic year. Please allow a week after receiving your results.

It is vital that this is completed to know you intend to return, and we can notify the Student Loan Company to release your loan. Please allow a week to receive the email after your results have been published.

Please be aware that you need to complete this even if you are on placement or just writing up your dissertation.

For most students, once online registration is complete, when you attend UCB, all you need to do is swipe your ID card. This will confirm your arrival and automatically update your record to fully enrolled for the academic year. 

We need to speak to some students before they fully enrol, so if your stage code on the portal shows QOL, please contact the FISU office to speak to one of the team once you have done online registration. You can call us on 0121 232 4180/4092/4401 or email UCBStudentFinance@ucb.ac.uk.

Students who have resits will not receive the email message until after resit results are released. 

Scholarships and fee waivers

Information about UCB's Scholarships and Fee Waivers and how to apply can be found here.


All full-time university (higher education) students should apply to Student Finance England for help with childcare costs. The amount you can receive depends on your financial circumstances. The application form (CCG1) is available at: www.gov.uk search for 'Student Finance forms.'

Need help finding suitable childcare?

For information about childcare providers, please visit birmingham.gov.uk/childcare

You can also look at the guide to finding childcare in Birmingham

University College Birmingham Hardship Fund

If you are a home or EU student studying a university (higher education) course and you fall into financial difficulty you may be able to access additional funding. In line with funding regulations, applications are prioritised for:

  • Students with dependent children, especially single parents
  • Mature students with existing financial commitments
  • Students with disabilities
  • Students who previously were in care or care leavers
  • Students who were homeless or living in a 'foyer' for young people

Guidelines and information on applying

How much can I get?

Each application is assessed individually by our financial support team and the size of awards varies depending on individual circumstances and the level of need. Applying to the fund does not guarantee that an award will be made.

Do I have to pay it back?

It depends on your personal circumstances. Some awards are grants which are not repayable. Others are awarded on a loan-basis and need to be repaid. This will be discussed with you when your application is processed.

How do I apply?

After checking you are eligible to apply please email financialsupport@ucb.ac.uk with your name and student ID number requesting an application form. The team will then send you the application form and the guidelines.

You will need to provide us with evidence of your financial circumstances including:

  • A copy of your Notification of Entitlement letter from Student Finance
  • 3 months bank statements (or printed transaction history) for all accounts that you hold
  • Documents relating to your financial circumstances (e.g. rent statements, copies of bills etc)

Please ensure you have read the guidelines on how to apply carefully before submitting an application.

I haven't received my Student Finance, what can I do?

You may be able to access a short-term loan to cover your essential living costs until you receive your maintenance payments from Student Finance. You will need to provide the following evidence:

  • Proof of your application to Student Finance
  • A copy of your latest bank statement as evidence that you do not have the funds to financially support yourself.
Things to remember:
  • You will be required to sign a loan agreement before any payments are authorised
  • You must ensure you maintain excellent attendance in order to continue receiving your loan payments
  • The loan will need to be repaid in full upon receipt of your first Student Finance maintenance payment

Financial support for Care Leavers

If you are a Care Leaver coming to study with us, you may be able to access additional financial support to help with your transition into university. The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 defines a care leaver as someone who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more following their 16th birthday.

Our financial support offer includes:

  • Up to four weeks to pay the £100 security deposit necessary to secure accommodation for students choosing to stay in UCB Halls of Residence
  • A rent contribution of £275 payable in semester 1
  • A UniKitOut essentials starter pack (www.unikitout.com) ready for when you move into our Halls of Residence
  • £200 cash payment in semester 2 (subject to satisfactory attendance)

The financial support offer is available to eligible students in their first year of study only.

In addition, you can access:

  • Pre-arrival budgeting advice and assistance with the Student Finance application process
  • Priority access to our HE Access Fund, if necessary
  • Summer accommodation at our Halls of Residence

Please email our Student Services team and email s.services@ucb.ac.uk, providing your contact information, date of birth, course information and brief details about your circumstances. Please attach evidence of your C Leaver status which should be issued by your Local Authority. We will then be in touch to discuss accessing financial support.

Further Education

If you are a Care Leaver coming to study a college course (level 3 or below) with us, please complete the College Financial Support application. The application form for the academic year 2022/23 has been released and is now available for you to access online. If you provide us with evidence issued by your Local Authority, confirming your status. You may be eligible to receive:
  • Help towards your uniform and equipment costs
  • An NXBus West Midlands travel pass
  • A bursary of £25.00 per week
  • Free meals in college

Funding for Nursing, Physiotherapy and Paramedic degrees

If you are applying for a place on one of our healthcare courses, you can of course apply for all the usual funding through your relevant Student Finance awarding agency.

The additional support available to Nursing, Physiotherapy and Paramedic students includes a non-repayable payment of £5,000 to eligible students each academic year, and additional payments worth up to a total of £3,000 to help students cover childcare costs. This support is administered by the NHS Business Services Authority and more information can be found here.

Please note that if you wish to study one of these courses, but you are unsure whether you will be entitled to student loans because you already have a first degree, the usual rules around ‘equivalent level qualifications’ (ELQ) do not apply. Nursing and Physiotherapy are considered as exceptions to the ELQ rules therefore you will still be able to access tuition fee loan and maintenance loan funding for either one of these courses.

Back to top