Next Steps

This information and guidance has been created to support students transition to University College Birmingham.

We have fantastic support available to you so please read all of the information below to ensure you provide us with the information we need to best support you on your education journey.

I disclosed a ‘learning need’ on my course application form. What should I do next?

Please read the attached information carefully to find out what evidence is acceptable for your need. You may need to provide more than one type. Once you have the appropriate evidence you will need to email it to

I have a full diagnostic assessment when I was younger, can I use this report or will I need a new one?

We would prefer to have one completed as recently as possible.  This is because a student’s support needs change as they go through education- the help you needed in secondary school will be different to what you require at university. The nature of your disability is also likely to have changed.  You may need extra or reduced support now as an adult than you did when you were younger. If it is very old we may advise you to have a new assessment.

I had support at school/college in my exams, can I send this in as evidence?

No. If you had a JCQ/Form 8 this cannot be used as evidence of your need and will be rejected. You will need to obtain a diagnostic assessment report or medical evidence - please read the attached guidance for more information

I have a medical/physical/mental health need or other disability.

We require medical evidence that clearly defines your need using the Equality Act (2010) definition, and must be a long-term diagnosed condition. Please give the DSA Disabled Student’s Allowance Disability Evidence form to the appropriate medical professional to complete.

Please see the guidance table for acceptable evidence.

If you are taking or will be taking medication/a course of treatment/other medical intervention such as surgery, it is helpful if your evidence explains how any side effects could affect your learning (e.g. fatigue; reduced mobility).

I have a temporary condition (such injury, pregnancy or a need not covered by the Equality Act definition). What support is available for me?

Short-term conditions, such as broken bones, ‘exam stress’ or pregnancy, which last less than 12 months are not covered by the Equality Act (2010) and are therefore not classed as disabilities.

However, where a condition is ongoing and is likely to continue beyond 12 months, we may accept evidence from a professional which confirms this. Please use the SFE Disabled Student’s Allowance Disability Evidence form to be completed by an appropriate professional.

When do I need to provide my evidence?

As early as possible! You do not need to wait until your course starts or even until you have accepted your place. The sooner we receive your evidence the better-if you submit your evidence late this can lead to delays in your support at UCB.

You can send your evidence to

If your disability changes during your course you will need to submit new or extra evidence which confirms the changes and how it impacts you.  

I have my evidence and want to apply for Disabled Student’s Allowance.

Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) is government-funded academic and equipment support available for undergraduate and postgraduate students who have a qualifying disability.  Further details can be found here: Please visit this website before applying for DSA. 

How does UCB store my personal information? Will it be shared or remain confidential?

All of UCB’s privacy notices can be found here.

Personal information is shared with those who ‘need to know’. This usually includes staff who teach and support you on your course. However, you have the right to limit who can access this information. Please be aware, restricting staff access to your personal information can limit or delay the disability support.

We always aim to communicate to teaching and support staff your specific needs and avoid your revealing your disability/condition.


I have a need which has not been covered by the information in this letter.

Please contact to discuss this with a member of the Disability Team.

Acceptable forms of evidence for reasonable adjustments (disability team)

Type of disability We will accept We cannot accept
I have/I think I have a specific learning difficulty
(e.g Dyslexia Dyspraxia, Developmental Co-ordination Disorder (DCD), Dyscalculia, Attention Deficit Disorder or ADHD)

A diagnostic assessment report completed by a qualified specialist assessor OR

Educational Psychologist.

Your report must meet the guidelines set out by SASC here.

Assessors can be found here:

All diagnostic reports are reviewed carefully on a case by case basis

We check the report meets the SASC guidelines, and

  • Must be in English;
  • Must clearly give evidence and a clear rationale for the diagnosis/diagnoses;
  • Must meet the definition of disability in line with the Equality

Act (2010) s.6

Dyspraxia: if your evidence is from a medical professional, it will also need to confirm the diagnosis and how it impacts on your education (day to day activity)

ADHD: see box below. Some specialist assessors can provide diagnostic reports for students with ADHD. Your report must still meet the SASC guidelines, above.

Screener report

Form 8 or JCQ exam support from your school or college

Reasonable adjustment/ support plan from another university

I think I have a medical need/physical disability/visual impairment/

hearing impairment/

mobility need

You should provide the DSA Disability Evidence Form to a qualified medical professional: 

If you have another medical need that is ongoing or long-term (12 months)

All boxes must be completed. The form must be signed and dated, and

  • Must confirm your ADHD diagnosis, the expected duration of your condition and impact on your education.
  • Should explain how any treatment you are receiving impacts on you (e.g. side effects of medication).

We also accept letters from CAMHS, Speech & Language Therapist, Consultant (Adult or Children’s) which clearly state the nature of your impairment(s), the long-term duration and the current impact on your day to day activity. 

Incomplete DSA Evidence Form

A report or medical evidence which does not meet the Equality Act definition of disability

Evaluation of Need report for specific learning difficulty

An ‘Evaluation of Need’ (EoN) report will be acceptable until 30.6.21. This is NOT a diagnosis of a specific learning need but instead makes general support recommendations.  The EoN must meet SASC guidelines. An EoN cannot be used to apply for DSA after 30.6.21.  
Mental Health

You need to submit the GP evidence pages from the DSA booklet to us, or you need a GP letter detailing how this affects your and how long you have been experiencing this. Under the Equality Rights Act the condition needs to be substantial and has affected you for 12 months OR you need to show it is likely to affect you for more than 12 months.

Please note that we cannot accept a screenshot of an appointment, a letter that just states the condition or confirmation you attended a therapy appointment.

I do not have any evidence

You are responsible for ensuring UCB has the correct and most accurate evidence of your need(s).  Please follow the relevant information above to find out how to obtain evidence.

Disability Support cannot be put in place without evidence.

I want to apply for Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA)

Home students can apply for DSA to cover disability support and related costs not met by UCB. 

  • You must provide evidence.
  • You must be on a course not funded by NHS

As the eligibility criteria for DSA is subject to change, please visit for the most up-to-date guidance.



Back to top