University College Birmingham will offer you a warm welcome from the moment you arrive in the UK.
On certain dates throughout the year, we will have University representatives in the arrival halls at Birmingham International Airport to meet new students when they land. If you are flying into another UK airport then coach services run frequently to Birmingham Airport which you can book through www.nationalexpress.com. If you are using this service, when booking please indicate it next to your time of arrival on the booking form. E.g 14:00 (National Express)
Our representatives will escort you to pre-arranged transportation, which will take you to your halls of residence or to the University campus if you prefer.
We offer this service between 8am - 10pm on the following dates:
- Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th September 2020 - 8am - 10pm (last day to book is Monday 7th September 2020)
- Wednesday 16th September - 8am to 10pm (last day to book is Monday 14th September)
- Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th September 2020 - 8am to 10pm (last day to book is Monday 14th September 2020)
- Wednesday 23rd September - 8am to 10pm (last day to book is Monday 21st September)
- Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th September - 8am to 10pm (Last day to book is Monday 21st September)
Please note there is a deadline to apply for the service, which is set roughly one week before the arrival date. Places are subject to availability. We will of course work to accommodate all students requesting the service but early submissions are recommended.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you travel checklist
- Your passport and visa: Make sure you have a valid passport and a valid visa
- Money: As it can take several weeks to open a UK bank account, you need to bring enough money to cover your initial expenses
- Your official documents: Take photocopies of your important documents (passport, visa etc.) in case you lose them in transit or whilst in the UK, and keep these copies in a safe place.
- Your accommodation: If you plan to stay in university accommodation, make sure you apply and pay your deposit by the date outlined in your contract.
- Insurance: Make arrangements to take out insurance for your personal belongings. This is best done before you leave for the UK to cover your journey and the first few days in Birmingham
- Travel to Birmingham: Plan how you will travel from your port of arrival in the UK to your accommodation in Birmingham. Check out details of our airport meet and greet service.
- Specific support: Make sure you inform the Disability Support Service at University College Birmingham if you are likely to require any specific support or arrangements because of a disability. Alternatively, contact email@example.com
- It may be beneficial to pre-order bedding and kitchen equipment before you arrive at University College Birmingham. This can be done via our partner UniKitOut using discount code UCB10.
Your health insurance will likely not cover any damage or loss of belongings during your travel to and stay in Birmingham. We strongly advise you to insure your most precious and expensive belongings, such as laptops and other electronic products. Travel insurance will also cover any loss of important documents. Your travel insurance may also cover emergency medical expenses and medical evacuation. Do a search and compare the benefits to see how they complement your health insurance abroad. If you do bring your laptop, it is important you insure it against damage or theft. Never leave your belongings unattended.
How to find us
The closest airport to University College Birmingham is Birmingham Airport. We strongly recommend that you aim to fly into Birmingham Airport as Gatwick and Heathrow are extremely busy and can be overwhelming for those new to the UK.
If you choose not to use University College Birmingham's airport meet and greet service, then there are two options for getting to University College Birmingham from the airport. Please read the following information to help you plan your journey to our campuses:
- Option 1: Taxi - signs at the airport will show you where you can get a taxi. These are approximately £25 - £30 and take about 30 minutes. This is the quickest way to get to the campus from the airport and is recommended if you are arriving late in the evening or if you have heavy luggage.
- Option 2: Train – costs approximately £5, takes around 15 - 20 minutes The 'Air Rail Link' is a free monorail service between the Airport and Birmingham International train station. You can board the Air Rail Link from the second floor of the Terminal 1 Departures area at the airport. The Air Rail Link takes two minutes to get to Birmingham International train station and operates between 05:15am and 02:00am daily. You then need to take a train to Birmingham New Street station. Once you are at the train station, get a taxi to your accommodation (more convenient, especially with heavy luggage, than walking).
How to find us
Details on where we are, directions to the University and transport options available.Read More
Accommodation for international students
International students studying at University College Birmingham for the first time will be offered accommodation in our halls of residence.Read More
Discover more about our University and living in Birmingham – all you need to know about our accommodation, Guild of Students and what life is like in our vibrant city.Read More