Sharpen your business skills and prepare for a career in international hospitality and tourism with this intensive one-year course. Designed as a top-up for students who have a relevant foundation degree or higher national diploma (or equivalent), you will graduate with a BA (Hons) degree.
This course is ideal if you want to pursue a career in the hospitality and tourism sectors. You will develop essential business knowledge and the skills to succeed in these fast-moving industries. You will also learn how to analyse problems, make good business decisions and communicate with colleagues and customers.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will learn about business administration in the context of the international hospitality and tourism industries.
- You will be trained in specific areas such as international marketing, corporate strategy and destination management.
- You will examine how businesses in the hospitality and tourism sectors work together, taking a strategic look at the future of the industries and learn how to plan and develop a business that responds successfully to change.
- There are a variety of optional modules that will encourage you to develop a specialism relevant to your future career.
- You will be given the opportunity to examine contemporary industry trends in the form of your own international research project as well as going on an overseas residential trip.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and in a typical week you will have up to 18 contact hours of teaching made up as follows:-
- Large group teaching - 6 hours of lectures in lecture rooms
- Smaller group teaching - 7 hours of teaching in smaller groups discussing topics relevant to the modules. This will also include computer based activities.
- Tutorials - 2 hours of tutorials (involving personal, group and academic sessions each week)
You will need to apportion approximately 20 hours per week of your own study time in preparation for lectures and preparing for and completing assessments. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
You will attend one day per week. The timetable is made up of one module per semester with three semesters in total. The research module is started in semester one and completed in Semester three.
- Smaller group teaching - students are timetabled for a 5 hour session per week
- Tutorials - 1 hour is timetabled per week consisting of a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials.
You will need to apportion approximately 10 hours per week outside of the timetabled hours. Some weeks the amount of time you need for personal study will increase, especially when completing assessments. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
The following assessment criteria applies to both the full and part-time route and is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used. There is a strong focus on the vocational nature of this course including live project work and industry based assignments.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 58%
- Practical Assessment - 34%
- Written Examination - 8%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Academic: A relevant HND or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic: European and International qualifications studied in a relevant subject matter will also be considered applicants will need to have achieved 120 ECTS or equivalent (European Credit Transfer)
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email
Plus one option from:
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
UCB encourages you to seek industry experience throughout your studies and we work with industry providers to offer you a variety of opportunities (paid and voluntary).
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the hospitality sector. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding work that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the international hospitality and tourism industry and will be able to access any career that requires a business and management qualification. Graduates have also gone on to start their own events, catering or hospitality business.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Hospitality and tourism planning
- Tourist attractions management
- Conference and exhibition management
- Events management
- Travel services management
is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises specialist staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
International Hospitality and Tourism Management BA (Hons) top-up