Accommodation support

Accommodation Financial Support

As an undergraduate or postgraduate, you may be entitled to financial support.

Maintenance loan

As a higher education student, you may be entitled to support via Student Finance. Information about what you can apply for from Student Finance and how to apply is available in our financial support section.

Postgraduate loan

English and EU students studying a full master's (MA/MSc) course may be eligible for a postgraduate loan. Information about what you can apply for from Student Finance and how to apply is available in our higher education support section.

Support for care leavers

If you are a care leaver coming to study with us, you may be able to access additional financial support to help with your transition into university. The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 defines a care leaver as someone who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more following their 16th birthday.

Our financial support includes:

  • Up to four weeks to pay your £100 security deposit if you choose to stay in our halls of residence
  • A UniKitOut essentials starter pack ( ready for when you move into our halls of residence
  • £200 cash payment in semester 2 (subject to satisfactory attendance)

The financial support offer is available to eligible students in their first year of study only.

Find out more

Residential support scheme - college students 

If the course you want to study isn’t available near your home, you may be able to get help with the cost of term-time accommodation. You may qualify if your course is too far away for you to travel daily and you are studying for a Level 2 or Level 3 qualification (equivalent to GCSEs and A-levels).

Are you eligible? 

You may get help from the residential support scheme if:

  • You are between 16 and 18 years old
  • A similar course isn’t available locally
  • You are 'ordinarily resident' in England (this means you are settled in the UK and have lived here for at least three years before your course starts) 

Your course must be one of the following:

  • More than 15 miles from your home
  • More than a two-hour return journey away

Your course must also: 

  • Be for your first Level 2 or Level 3 qualification
  • Need at least 16 hours’ attendance a week
  • Last for at least 10 weeks

If you believe you are eligible and would like to apply, please print and complete the RSS application form and send to Student Services. 

Residential support scheme - Student Services
University College Birmingham
The Link
65-77 Summer Row
B3 1JJ

Download form 

Find out more

Back to top