First Degree Nutritional Sciences, PhD Psychology, Registered Nutritionist (Public Health), Feloow of the Higher Education Academy
Job Role & Responsibilities
Module leader of nutrition-based modules; final year research project supervisor; personal tutor and level 6 year tutor.
I am a registered nutritionist (public health) with a keen interest in eating behaviour. My first degree is in Nutritional Sciences (University of Porto, Portugal) and my PhD in Psychology (University of Birmingham) focussed on social and psychological aspects of meat avoidance behaviour. My postdoctoral research at the University of Minho (Portugal) was in eating disorders with an emphasis on perception of food portion size. At that time, I was also the nutritional adviser for students with disordered eating behaviour as well as a guest lecturer for two master programmes in clinical and public health nutrition.
During my 20 years career in Higher Education, I had the privilege to teach in different countries, UK, Singapore, Spain, and Portugal and collaborated with international colleagues of various subjects. Teaching and supervising projects in nutrition and eating behaviour allowed my interest to progress further into health promotion, a crucial area for tackling obesity and disordered eating behaviour.
- Public Health & Nutrition
- Nutrition Through the Lifecycle
- Psychology of Eating Behaviour
- Research for Food & Nutrition
- Contemporary Issues in Food & Nutrition
- Disease Modulation Through Dietary Change
- Sport & Nutrition Project
Research interests and scholarly activity
- School food provision; eating behaviour; weight management.
- Brownlee IA, …, Santos-Merx L (2019). Evaluation of the proximity of Singaporean... Nutrients, 11(11), 2615. More in Lourdes Santos-Merx Google Scholar
- External Examiner
- Peer reviewer for scientific journals