Marketing is a dynamic business and social media and e-commerce have transformed the way many service sector companies manage their marketing approach. Trained professionals with proven e-marketing skills are in-demand within both online and high street businesses.
This one-year course will give you a thorough grounding in marketing practice, creativity and innovation, developing competencies to succeed in management.
Using our extensive industrial contacts, this course features promotional and PR work, with market research and market planning briefs conducted with local organisations in order to apply theory to practice. A key feature of this course lies in the use of live projects and case studies, which will bring you into contact with professional practitioners and provides an opportunity to demonstrate your marketing knowledge and skills in a commercial setting.
There are opportunities to customise your studies through a range of specialist optional modules, gain valuable work experience in events and marketing, take part in an industry-based competition and gain an industry recognised marketing qualification from the Chartered Institute of Marketing.
Why should I choose this course?
- By taking this top-up, you can continue to develop your academic and practical skills in preparation for a successful career within the industry.
- It will allow you to develop and demonstrate technical, creative, supervisory and managerial skills in preparation for a career in marketing management.
- It will give you plenty of opportunities to put marketing theory into practice, hence developing your business-ready skills.
- You will be learning from experienced lecturers and industry professionals through a mix of lectures, seminars, workshops, ‘real world’ simulations and guest lectures.
- You will learn how to evaluate the success of marketing activities through a range of innovative assessments, including e-debates, academic posters, action plans and digital diaries.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers one day per week and in a typical week you will have up to 14 contact hours of teaching made up as follows:-
- Large group teaching - 5 hours of lectures in lecture rooms
- Smaller group teaching - 7 hours of teaching in smaller groups discussing topics relevant to the modules. This will also include computer-based activities.
- Tutorials - 2 hours of tutorials (involving personal, group and academic sessions each week)
You will need to apportion approximately 20 hours per week of your own study time in preparation for lectures and preparing for and completing assessments. UCB Online provides 24 hour access to learning and support material.
You will attend one day per week. The timetable is made up of one module per semester with three semesters in total. The research module is started in semester one and completed in Semester three.
- Smaller group teaching - students are timetabled for a 5 hour session per week
- Tutorials - 1 hour is timetabled per week consisting of a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials.
You will need to apportion approximately 10 hours per week outside of the timetabled hours. Some weeks the amount of time you need for personal study will increase, especially when completing assessments. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
The following assessment criteria applies to both the full and part-time route and is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used. There is a strong focus on the vocational nature of this course including live project work and industry-based assignments.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 61%
- Practical assessment - 22%
- Written Examinations - 17%
Course work could include: building professional portfolios; conducting situation and marketing analyses; and generating management reports and audits. Practical assessment could include: presentations (individual and group) and using creativity and problem-solving skills to generate business solutions. Some modules also have assessments linked to study trips abroad.
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Applicants require a relevant HND or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email: email@example.com
UCB encourages you to seek as much industry experience and exposure throughout your studies and we work with industry providers to offer you a variety of opportunities (paid and voluntary).
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the marketing sector. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding work that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
Upon successful completion of this programme, graduates have secured jobs in event promotions, sales management and marketing research. Many graduates also pursue entrepreneurial ambitions and start their own businesses.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Advertising and media
- Communications and marketing
- The health and education sectors
- Public relations
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.