of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Gain knowledge in construction, design and other industry-relevant topics, as well as boosting your English, maths and employability skills
- PRACTICAL APPLICATION – Apply your learning to real life and gain valuable experience on industry placement
- RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION – Our BTEC Level 2 Construction course gives you a recognised work-related qualification to enable progress onto further study, apprenticeships and employment
Students on our construction and engineering courses will learn in brand new real-world training environments under development at University College Birmingham. Our brand new Engineering and Sustainable Construction Centre at the iconic James Cond Building will offer state-of-the-art facilities specifically designed to develop skills that support employers and their supply chains, along with further new facilities at Camden House. These will include:
• Production line technology
• Industry 4.0 rigs
• Process manufacturing training equipment
• Renewable energy simulators
• Cyber physical system
• Mechatronics automation
• Fluid dynamics software
• MATLAB design software
• Enhanced IT facilities
James Cond Building
Formerly a print works, this historic art deco building will become the home of our new Engineering and Sustainable Construction Centre.
Our refurbishment of Camden House will create a bespoke STEM education and training facility.
Topics you will study:
- The underpinning mathematics and science related to construction
- The design of construction and how to communicate your design in drawings and specifications
- Sustainability in construction
- Tendering and estimating
- Civil engineering
- Specialist skills related to construction to suit your chosen career path
- Facilities management
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Tilbury Douglas is delighted to be working in partnership with University College Birmingham on the development of the new sustainable construction courses. As an employer, it is vital that our employees can access robust, fit-for-purpose qualifications that will address the skills shortage and provide our future and existing workforce with the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to demonstrate competency in their roles. We are passionate about recruiting and developing our own talent for the future, while ensuring we remain committed to sustainably delivering vital infrastructure to communities across the UK. This collaboration will help us to achieve this.
Our construction lecturers are looking for students who are enthusiastic and passionate about construction, together with a keen determination to succeed in the construction and building sector, so please contact Admissions if you do not have the specific requirements outlined below.
If you are unsure if your qualification is equivalent or if you wish to check if you meet the entry requirements for this course, please call 0121 214 2919, email firstname.lastname@example.org or use our live chat.
4 GCSEs at grade 3 (grade D) including English Language and Maths, or equivalent.
English and maths
If you do not have a grade 4/C or above in English and maths and you are under 19, you will be required to study these subjects alongside your vocational subject. After enrolment you will complete an assessment with our teaching team so we can ensure you receive appropriate English and maths support.
Applicants over 19 are not required to complete maths and English.
Supporting documents required
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
- If you are a school leaver (over 19), you will be required to provide a reference from a previous education provider or employer in support of your application.
Students who achieve BTEC Level 2 First Certificate in Construction and receive approval from the University College Birmingham teaching team will be permitted to progress onto BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment.
Teaching and assessment
You will have three days per week in college as well as time spent on industry placement. Around 4-6 hours of homework per week is also advised.
Staff will monitor your progress and have one-to-one meetings with you with targets set. You will also have progress reviews during your work experience, both from our staff and your employer.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2021-2024.
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our Hired team can help find the ideal placement for you.
Attending a work/industry placement is a critical element of our Level 2 course in construction. This will usually consist of one day per week for two weeks, totalling around 20 hours.
On completion of the Level 2, you could progress onto our Construction and the Built Environment BTEC Level 3 course or our Construction T-level course. Alternatively you could pursue a range of employment opportunities within the industry.
Note: Some roles below may require further study/training. The roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Average Salary: £40,000
Average Salary: £26,500
Average Salary: £60,000
Average Salary: £30,000
Average Salary: £25,000
Average Salary: £45,000
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.
Engineering and Construction at University College Birmingham
Discover more about our new range of engineering and construction college courses, including BTEC Level 2, BTEC Level 3 and T-Level qualifications.