Academic Support Worker
Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Literacy, Language and Numeracy Learning; Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training; Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training; Level 5 Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA)
I graduated with a BA (Hons) Interactive Arts from Newport School of Art and went on to work in the emerging dotcom sector, specialising in marketing communications and e-commerce fulfilment. This led to an opportunity to work in the music industry in events promotion. Eventually I went back into education as a mature student to study music technology and a couple of the lecturers thought that I would make a good teacher.
This led me to volunteer as a learning support assistant and I discovered that I had a real passion for helping students succeed in achieving their goals. I have now been a learning support practitioner since 2014 and have gained experience of supporting SEND learners in vocational and adult education. I have been employed permanently by UCB as an Academic Support Worker since September 2018, although I carried out the role for two years previously as an agency worker. I have also taught academic English at UCB on the 6-week Pre-sessional English programme.
English for Academic Purposes
Research interests and scholarly activity
- Pre-teaching English curricula to improve attainment for dyslexic students
- Universal design and assistive technology for learning support
- The impact of adolescence as a developmental stage on learning needs
- I provide tutoring and mentoring to an A-Level student with dyslexia.
- I also deliver remote ESOL tutorials using video conferencing to students in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and China.