Why choose this college course?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Build foundation skills and knowledge in bricklaying and construction, as well as other key skills including maths and English to get you work-ready
- PRACTICAL APPLICATION – Get hands-on training using innovative facilities in our state-of-the-art Sustainable Construction Centre
- RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION – Gain a recognised Level 1 qualification to enable your progression onto further courses and apprenticeships
Students on our construction and engineering courses will learn in brand new real-world training environments under development at University College Birmingham. Our brand new Sustainable Construction Centre at the iconic James Cond Building will offer state-of-the-art facilities specifically designed to develop skills that support employers and their supply chains, along with further new facilities at Camden House. These will include:
- Training rigs
- Steel erecting zone
- Cladding systems zone
- Brick slips rig
- Retrofit zone
- Housebuilding zone
- Enhanced IT facilities
James Cond Building
Formerly a print works, this historic art deco building will become the home of our new Engineering and Sustainable Construction Centre.
Our refurbishment of Camden House will create a bespoke STEM education and training facility.
Topics you will study:
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Contributing to setting out and building of masonry structures up to damp-proof course
- Carrying out bricklaying activities
- Carrying out blocklaying activities
- Carrying out cavity walling activities
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Level 2 Award in Understanding Domestic Retrofit
Please note: Units/topics of study are subject to change
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Tilbury Douglas is delighted to be working in partnership with University College Birmingham on the development of the new sustainable construction courses. As an employer, it is vital that our employees can access robust, fit-for-purpose qualifications that will address the skills shortage and provide our future and existing workforce with the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to demonstrate competency in their roles. We are passionate about recruiting and developing our own talent for the future, while ensuring we remain committed to sustainably delivering vital infrastructure to communities across the UK. This collaboration will help us to achieve this.
Our construction lecturers are looking for students who are enthusiastic and passionate about construction, together with a keen determination to succeed in the construction and building sector, so please contact Admissions if you do not have the specific requirements outlined below.
If you are unsure if your qualification is equivalent or if you wish to check if you meet the entry requirements for this course, please call 0121 214 2919, email email@example.com or use our live chat.
3 GCSE at Grade 3 including maths or English, with at least a Grade 1 in the other subject.
English and maths
If you do not have a grade 4/C or above in English and maths and you are under 19, you will be required to study these subjects alongside your vocational subject. After enrolment you will complete an assessment with our teaching team so we can ensure you receive appropriate English and maths support.
Applicants over 19 are not required to complete maths and English.
Supporting documents required
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
- If you are a school leaver (over 19), you will be required to provide a reference from a previous education provider or employer in support of your application.
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed through a combination of externally-assessed exams, projects and practical assessments.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2021-2024.
Additional qualifications and training
As part of our course, you will have the opportunity to complete a Level 2 Award in Understanding Domestic Retrofit.
On completion of the Level 1, you could progress onto our Level 2/3 construction courses, or you could pursue a range of employment opportunities within the industry.
Note: Some roles below may require further study/training. The roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Average Salary: £50,000
Average Salary: £50,000
Site civils operative
Average Salary: £32,000
Average Salary: £40,000
Average Salary: £45,000
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.
Engineering and Construction at University College Birmingham
Discover more about our new range of engineering and construction college courses, including Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and T-level qualifications.