Marks and Certificates

Whether you're a former student who needs to replace vital documents, or a current student who wants to know what you will receive when you complete your studies, you will find all the relevant information here.

What will you receive

On successful completion of their course, all students are awarded a certificate. If you are an HE student (depending on the award you studied) you will also be given a record of your marks in the form of a Transcript or Notification of Performance.

If you studied an Honours degree this will also show your final classification (First, 2:1, 2:2, or Third). FdA, FdSc, DipHE and HND programmes have no overall classification, but a detailed Notification of Performance is provided by Edexcel showing a grade for each unit (such as Pass, Merit or Distinction). Your year manager will also provide, on request, a reference which includes information about placements, prizes or other achievements.

All degree students receive one free certificate and transcript/results letter showing they have passed the year/course. For those completing in January, all students will be expected to have received a transcript by April 1.

Students finishing in June/July can expect to receive a transcript by the following September. If you do not receive this, the Examinations Unit will send another free of charge, although this will be marked as a copy. After this period, if you want a replacement for a lost transcript, then the charges listed below will apply.

Replacement Transcripts

Replacement transcripts cost £25 per copy to produce. Transcripts typically take between two to four weeks to process, so please allow as much time as possible before you need the certificate.

Some students require several copies of their Certificate or Transcript and these copies need to be certified by the University as genuine. The University provides a service for this, which carries the following charges:

  • Certified Copy of Certificate - £2 per copy
  • Certified Copy of Transcript - £2 per copy

To request a replacement transcript fill in a Transcript Request Form.

Alternatively, if you have any problems viewing or printing this form, send your name, course and year of study with a cheque for the necessary amount to the address below. To request a number of certified copies, send both the original certificate and the required number of copies and a cheque for the necessary amount (payable to UCB) to:

University College Birmingham
Summer Row
Birmingham B3 1JB
United Kingdom

You should use a courier or recorded delivery. Please note the University cannot be held responsible for the loss of any documents in transit.

Replacement Certificates

Replacement certificates are obtained not from the University, but from the relevant awarding body. Most awarding bodies charge a fee to provide a replacement certificate.

A list of awarding bodies and their contact details is also available.

If your degree was awarded by University College Birmingham, please apply to us for a replacement using this form.

If you are unsure of the awarding body for your course, please telephone the Registry Department on (0121) 604 1000 ext 2378/2309/2358.

Confirmation Letter

Some overseas authorities require a letter from the University to confirm a student's course details. To request one, at no charge, please fill out this 3rd Party Request Form.

Authenticating Certificates

In a very few instances, there is a requirement to confirm that the original certificate or transcript is genuine. This process of authentication is sometimes referred to as Apostilling or Legalisation and requirements vary from country to country. Information on services provided by the UK Government's Foreign and Commonwealth Office can be found at