of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Gain key marketing skills and knowledge of topics including markets, segmentation, pricing strategy and the Boston Matrix
- PRACTICAL APPLICATION – Enjoy opportunities to engage in creative problem solving and develop practical skills in our Digital Creative Studio
- RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION – Our BTEC Level 3 marketing course gives you a recognised work-related qualification to open the door to higher education and professional careers
- MOVE UP TO UNIVERSITY – Want to study at a higher level? This course will support your progression to degrees in business, marketing management, digital marketing and more
Students on our marketing courses have access to our Digital Creative Studio, a cutting-edge facility where you can get hands-on experience creating podcasts, promotional videos and livestream content for social media.
Based in Camden House, our new Digital Creative Studio features state-of-the-art video and audio production facilities, including a video production studio with 4K cameras and green screen technology
Our Digital Creative Studio also houses a dedicated teaching lab complete with high-spec computers and industry-standard media technology, including Adobe Creative Cloud software
The Digital Creative Studio hosts audio podcasting, vision mixing and editing facilities, as well as a creative media and design lab with graphics tablets
Topics you will study:
- Exploring Business
- Personal and Business Finance
- Digital Marketing
- Creative Promotion
- Visual Merchandising
- International Business
- Principles of Management
- Business Decision Making
- Market Research
- Relationship Marketing
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Maths and English
To help you secure your dream career, you will also continue developing your maths and English skills alongside your full-time course. If you haven’t achieved GCSE grade 4/C in English and maths at age 16, you will continue to study these through resits or taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
How maths will support your career
- Calculating the costs of marketing and social media campaigns
- Working out the price of goods so you can stay in profit
- Ordering goods and services
- Working out your business accounts
How English will support your career
- Good quality speaking and listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues and customers
- Customer service requires good English skills in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is vital for following instructions, reading documents and emails or understanding the ideas, aspirations and demands of colleagues and competitors
- English is important when preparing a CV or business proposal, and for putting together advertising and marketing plans for your business
- Normally, you will require a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above (including maths and English), or a BTEC Level 2 Diploma.
- Alternatively, you will require at least 2 years’ relevant work experience.
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance.
- You should be committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed in the business and marketing industry.
If you do not have a grade 4/C or above in English and/or maths and you are under 19, you will be required to complete an assessment so we can ensure you receive appropriate support.
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed through coursework assignments and projects, some of which will involve industry-related visits and external assessment.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Need some advice?
Our Schools Liaison team deliver drop-in sessions for you to ask any questions you have about college. Find out more here.
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our hired@UCB team can help find the ideal placement for you.
As part of our college marketing course, you will undertake 40 days on work placement with one of our industry partners, ideally within marketing departments in business office settings.
This course provides a specialist business pathway at Level 3 in marketing and social media. Marketing is a key sector in the UK economy, with students able to obtain good salaries and career prospects. The course is also ideal preparation for a range of higher education courses including business enterprise, business management, digital marketing and marketing management.
The example roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Social media manager
Average salary: £25,000 – £32,000
Digital marketing specialist
Average Salary: £25,000
Average Salary: £35,000
Average Salary: £27,000
Aspiring to a higher level career? Complete this course and you could progress onto our Digital Marketing BA (Hons) degree
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.