of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- WORK PLACEMENT – Give your CV a major boost through gaining real-world experience on a work placement in the industry
- ENRICHMENT – Gain additional sporting qualifications and enjoy a variety of other enrichment activities and industry visits
- MOVE UP TO UNIVERSITY – Want to continue your learning journey after college? This course will allow you to progress onto a fitness-related degree
Students on our sports college courses at University College Birmingham have use of state-of-the-art facilities at Avery Fields, a purpose-built 15-acre site which we share with leading Birmingham rugby club Bournville RFC.
Avery Fields features an all-weather pitch situated alongside two new grass pitches and an impressive clubhouse.
The clubhouse at Avery Fields includes a function room, modern changing facilities and a physiotherapy suite.
In year 1 of our course, you will complete a Level 2 Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness (Gym-based) and Level 3 Introductory Certificate in Working in Sport and Leisure. In year 2, you will then complete a Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training (Gym-based Exercise) and Level 3 Certificate in Working in Sport and Leisure.
Topics you will study:
Level 2 Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness (Gym-based)
- Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise
- Supporting clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Planning gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
Level 3 Introductory Certificate in Working in Sport and Leisure
- Exercise Health and Lifestyle
- Preparing for a Career in Sport and Physical Activity
- Work Experience in Sport
Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training (Gym-based Exercise)
- Applied Anatomy and Physiology for Activity, Health and Fitness
- Client Motivation and Lifestyle Management
- Programming Personal Training Sessions
- Delivering Personal Training Sessions
- Nutrition to Support a Physical Activity Programme
- Business Acumen for Personal Trainers
Level 3 Certificate in Working in Sport and Leisure
- Sports Nutrition
- Sports Injuries
- Applied Strength and Conditioning
Plus one option from:
- Sports Massage
- Sport as a Business
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Maths and English
To help you secure your dream career, you will also continue developing your maths and English skills alongside your full-time course. If you haven’t achieved GCSE grade 4/C in English and maths at age 16, you will continue to study these through resits or taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
How maths will support your career
- When designing fitness programmes, a sound understanding of basic numbers is needed for working out appropriate repetitions and determining increments in weight training
- Fractions are needed in calculating BMI
- Measurements are also key in determining and monitoring client heights and weights
- Mathematics is central to an understanding of nutrition and sports formulae
How English will support your career
- Accurate spelling and a wide and specialist vocabulary are key in the presentation of sports services and products
- Good quality speaking and listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues/sponsors
- Customer service requires good English skills in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is a vital skill when following instructions
- Secure English is important when preparing a CV or a business proposal, advertising/marketing your business or when designing a training plan for a client
- Normally, you will require a minimum of four GCSEs, two at grade 4 (grade C) and two at grade 3 (grade D), ideally including maths and/or English.
- Alternatively, you will require a BTEC Level 2 Diploma along with a minimum of two GCSEs at grade 3.
- Applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance.
- You should be committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed in the sports industry.
Teaching and assessment
You will be required to prepare work independently and as part of a team. You will be assessed through coursework, assignments, projects, practical observations and presentations, some of which will involve industry-related visits and external assessment.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Additional qualifications and training
Our course offers opportunities to gain additional qualifications (subject to funding availability) alongside your studies, such as:
- Emergency First Aid
- Instructing Kettlebells*
- Fitness Exercise for Special Populations*
- Olympic Lifting*
Uniform and kit costs
This course requires a uniform and kit costing approximately £50, depending on the items you purchase. (Prices are subject to change each year – exact costs and information on how to order required items will be provided to you prior to enrolment.)
University College Birmingham adopts the UK Anti-Doping and World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) position that cheating, including doping, in sport is fundamentally contrary to the spirit of sport, undermining the otherwise positive impact of sport on society. Further details about UKAD and WADA can be found on their websites.
Accreditations, endorsements and partnerships
University College Birmingham works with a wide range of organisations to ensure you receive the best possible training and qualifications recognised by industry.
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our hired@UCB team can help find the ideal placement for you.
Our college Fitness and Personal Training course requires you to undertake work placement throughout both years of study. Our industry links allow you to benefit from coaching sessions, qualifications and training sessions, as well as opportunities to assist at competitions at the Birmingham School Games, Inclusive Sports Festivals and working in local schools.
This course gives you a unique opportunity to gain valuable industry qualifications alongside an academic course with hands-on experience. With this qualification, you can begin working in fitness facilities and gyms as a paid instructor, and if you are passionate about becoming a specialist, this is the best choice you can make.
Average Salary: £22,000
Average Salary: £23,000
Average Salary: £22,976
Average Salary: £25,000
Aspiring to a higher level career? Complete this course and you could progress onto our Sport and Fitness Studies degree.
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.