of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Build key skills and knowledge related to education and childcare, as well as enhancing your English, maths and digital skills
- WORK PLACEMENT – Get to know the world of work and gain essential industry experience through a work placement
- RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION – Our Education and Childcare T-level has been designed in collaboration with businesses to ensure your skills meet employers’ needs and expectations
Topics you will study:
Core knowledge and understanding
- Supporting Education
- Safeguarding, Health and Safety and Wellbeing
- Parents, Families and Carers
- Working with Others
- Child Development
- Observation and Assessment
- Reflective Practice
- Equality and Diversity
- Special Educational Needs and Disability
- English as an Additional Language
Occupational Specialism (Early Years Educator)
- Supporting and promoting children’s play, development and early education
- Developing relationships with children to facilitate their development
- Planning, providing and reviewing care, play and educational opportunities to enable children to progress
- Safeguarding and promoting the health, safety and wellbeing of children
- Working in partnership with colleagues, parents, carers and other professionals to support children’s development
Our education lecturers are looking for students who are committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to excel in the early years and care sector, so please contact Admissions if you do not have the specific requirements outlined below.
If you are unsure if your qualification is equivalent or if you wish to check if you meet the entry requirements for this course, please call 0121 214 2919, email email@example.com or use our live chat.
If you do not have a grade 4/C or above in Maths, you will be required to study this subject alongside your T-level. After enrolment, you will complete an assessment with our teaching team so we can ensure you receive appropriate maths support.
For applicants who need to retake their maths alongside studying the T-level course, please note that we cannot guarantee these lectures will fall between 10am and 3pm. For students who have achieved Level 2 Functional Skills, please note that most education roles will stipulate a GCSE requirement.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
This course requires a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Information about the DBS check and how to apply for it will be sent to you by our placement team after enrolment. University College Birmingham will coordinate and fund the completion of the DBS check.
As this is a 2-year study programme, you will need to be aged 16-18 to apply for this course.
Currently, T-level courses are only funded for 16-19-year-old learners. However, the government is currently reviewing the T-level pathway for mature learners, which we hope will be available in the future. If you would like to apply for a related course, please consider Access to Higher Education Diploma (Education).
- 4 GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) including English Language or equivalent.
- A minimum GCSE Maths of grade 3 (grade D) is also required.
T-level courses require you to complete a minimum of 315 hours (approximately 45 days) on placement over the two years. You will be required to work with our hired@UCB team to secure your placement.
Supporting documents required
School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
Guaranteed progression option
Students who achieve 96 UCAS points from this qualification will be automatically guaranteed a place for Early Childhood Studies BA (Hons) at University College Birmingham.
Teaching and assessment
To achieve this qualification, you must successfully demonstrate your achievement of the Core Component and Occupational Specialism Component.
The Core Component is 100% externally assessed. The assessment consists of:
- Paper A written examination
- Paper B written examination
- Employer-set project
The Occupational Specialism Components are also externally assessed, except for the observation element, which is internally marked and externally moderated by NCFE.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2021-2024.
Uniform and kit costs
This course requires a uniform and kit costing approximately £30, depending on the items you purchase. (Prices are subject to change each year – exact costs and information on how to order required items will be provided to you prior to enrolment.)
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our hired@UCB team can help find the ideal placement for you.
Our education T-level course requires you to complete a minimum of 750 hours on placement in a real working environment. Our employability tutors will visit you out on placement to ensure you gain the right practical skills.
Work alongside experts in your sector
A snapshot of some of the employers we have worked with:
- Adderley Children's Centre
- St Thomas Centre Nursery
- Busy Bees Nurseries
- Laugh 'n' Learn Day Nursery
- Lime Tree Children's Centre
We are extremely proud to have been chosen by the Government to deliver the T-level for Education and Childcare. Having the staff expertise and capacity to deliver this new and exciting qualification, we see it as an opportunity to be at the forefront of changes in the provision for young people's education.
The example roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Early years educator
Average Salary: £18,526
Average Salary: £23,000
Special educational needs (SEN) teaching assistant
Average Salary: £17,789
Family support worker
Average Salary: £21,000
Average Salary: £32,500
Aspiring to a higher level career? Complete this course and you could progress onto our Early Childhood Studies BA (Hons) degree.
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.
Discover more about T-levels
Designed in direct collaboration with employers and businesses, T-levels are a great new route into skilled employment, further study or higher apprenticeships.