of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Build key skills and knowledge related to data technician and analyst roles, as well as enhancing your English, maths and digital skills
- WORK PLACEMENT – Get to know the world of work and gain essential industry experience through a work placement
- RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION – Our T-level course has been designed in collaboration with industry to ensure your skills meet employers’ needs and expectations
Our computing facilities include dedicated teaching labs complete with high-spec computers and industry-standard software
Students also have access to the Digital Creative Studio which features state-of-the-art video and audio production facilities, including a video production studio with 4K cameras and green screen technology
Our Digital Creative Studio also hosts audio podcasting, vision mixing and editing facilities, as well as a creative media and design lab with graphics tablets
Topics you will study:
All students will develop an understanding of:
- How digital technologies impact business and the market environment
- The ethical and moral implications of digital technology
- Using data in software design
- Using digital technologies to analyse and solve problems
- Digital environments, including physical, virtual and cloud environments
- Legal and regulatory obligations relating to digital technologies
- The privacy and confidentiality of personal data
- The technical, physical and human aspects of internet security
- Planning digital projects
- Testing software, hardware and data
- Digital tools for project management and collaboration
Occupational Specialism (Data Technician)
All students will develop the knowledge and skills of a data technician. This occupation is found in all sectors where data is generated or processed. You will learn how to:
- Source, format and present data securely in a relevant way for analysis using basic methods
- Communicate outcomes appropriate to the audience
- Analyse structured and unstructured data to support business outcomes
- Blend data from multiple sources as directed and apply legal and ethical principles when manipulating data
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Our business lecturers are looking for students who are enthusiastic and passionate about business, together with a keen determination to succeed in the digital and business sector, so please contact Admissions if you do not have the specific requirements outlined below.
If you are unsure if your qualification is equivalent or if you wish to check if you meet the entry requirements for this course, please call 0121 214 2919, email firstname.lastname@example.org or use our live chat.
- 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) including English Language or equivalent.
- GCSE Maths at grade 5.
Supporting documents required
School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
English and maths
As applicants are required to achieve English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C) prior to entering this course, University College Birmingham will not offer English or Maths alongside this T-level.
As this is a 2-year study programme, you will need to be aged 16 to 18 to apply for this course.
Currently, T-level courses are only funded for learners who are under the age of 19 at the point of enrolment. However, the government is currently reviewing the T-level pathway for mature learners, which we hope will be available in the future. If you would like to apply for a related course, please consider Access to Higher Education Diploma (Business).
T-level courses require you to complete a minimum of 315 hours (approximately 45 days) on placement over the two years. You will be required to work with our hired@UCB team to secure your placement.
Students who achieve 56 UCAS points or more from this qualification, will automatically be guaranteed a place on a degree course at University College Birmingham. Some undergraduate courses require additional entry requirements, so applicants are advised to check entry requirements before applying.
Teaching and assessment
To achieve this qualification, you must demonstrate your achievement of the Core Component and Occupational Specialism Component.
The Core Component is 100% externally assessed. The assessment consists of:
- Paper A written examination
- Paper B written examination
- Employer-set project
Occupational Specialism Component:
The Occupational Specialism Components are also external task-based assignments and are marked externally by NCFE.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2021-2024.
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our hired@UCB team can help find the ideal placement for you.
Our Digital Business Services T-level course requires you to complete a minimum of 315 hours on placement. In order to demonstrate threshold competence in digital business services, you will be observed during your industry placement.
We are extremely proud to deliver the T-level in Digital Business Services which will mark a revolution in technical education. University College Birmingham has excellent IT facilities where students can learn about digital support services and latest technologies, with real-life projects and an industry work placement.
The example roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Data logging technician
Average Salary: £18,600
Data centre technician
Average Salary: £37,500
Average Salary: £32,500
Average Salary: £20,000
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.
Discover more about T-levels
Designed in direct collaboration with employers and businesses, T-levels are a great new route into skilled employment, further study or higher apprenticeships.