of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Gain knowledge in a range of business-related topics as well as sought-after skills such as teamwork, presentation and creative thinking
- SPECIALISE YOUR STUDIES – Investigate subjects that interest you through optional units, including customer service, recruitment and managing personal finances
- RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION – Our BTEC Level 2 Business course gives you a recognised work-related qualification, opening the door to further study, employment and apprenticeships
Topics you will study:
- Enterprise in the Business World
- Finance for Business
- Principles of Marketing
- Principles of Customer Service
- Promoting a Brand
- Business Documentation
- Introducing Retail Business
- Building Successful Business Teams
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Maths and English
To help you secure your dream career, you will also continue developing your maths and English skills alongside your full-time course. If you haven’t achieved GCSE grade 4/C in English and maths at age 16, you will continue to study these through resits or taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
How maths will support your career
- Understanding business finance
- Processing of large quantities of data
- Presenting information
How English will support your career
- Good quality speaking and listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues and customers.
- Customer service requires good English skills in speaking and written communication.
- Accurate reading is vital for following instructions, reading documents and emails, and understanding the ideas, aspirations and demands of colleagues and competitors.
- Your use of English is important when preparing a CV and a business proposal, and for putting together advertising and marketing plans for your business.
- Normally, you will require a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade 3 (grade D) or above.
- Alternatively, you will require at least 2 years’ relevant work experience.
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report and references.
- You should be committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed.
- If you do not have a grade 4 (grade C) or above in English and/or maths and you are under 19, you will be required to complete an assessment so we can ensure you receive appropriate support.
- You will need to successfully complete an initial assessment.
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed through coursework assignments and projects, some of which will involve industry-related visits and external assessment.
25% of the qualification is externally assessed. Pearson sets and marks these assessments and the qualification is graded from Level 2 P to Level 2 D*. Learners who do not achieve at Level 2 may achieve a grade of Level 1 Pass.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our hired@UCB team can help find the ideal placement for you.
As part of this business college course, you will undertake ten days of industry placement, normally in two separate one-week blocks of around 37 hours per week.
Work alongside experts in your sector
A snapshot of some of the employers we have worked with:
- Soho BID (Birmingham)
- Lidl (Birmingham)
- Medilink (Birmingham)
- The Future Melting Pot (Birmingham)
- Avid Panda (Sutton Coldfield)
This course is an excellent introduction to the world of business, covering a variety of topics that prepare you to progress onto our BTEC Level 3 Extended Diplomas in Business or Business and Finance, as well as apprenticeships and ultimately a range of careers including marketing, finance, customer service and business administration.
On completion of the Level 2, you could progress onto our Business Level 3 course, or you could pursue a range of employment opportunities within the industry.
Note: Some roles below may require further study/training. The roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Customer service representative
Average Salary: £18,786
Human resources assistant
Average Salary: £20,935
Average Salary: £20,298
Average Salary: £18,863
Average Salary: £32,500
Average Salary: £24,000
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.