of graduate employers say relevant experience is essential to getting a job with them
Why choose this college course?
- WORK PLACEMENT – Give your CV a huge boost by gaining real-life industry experience on a weekly work placement throughout your course
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Gain knowledge in accounting and finance as well as high-level skills such as teamwork, presentation and creative thinking
- MOVE UP TO UNIVERSITY – Want to continue your learning journey after college? Progress your training to degree level on our wide range of university business courses
Topics you will study:
- Recording Financial Transactions
- Effective Management of Personal Debt
- Personal and Business Finance
- Exploring Business
- Developing a Marketing Campaign
- Managing an Event
- Cost and Management Accounting
- Final Accounts for Public Limited Companies
- Legal Principles and Professional Ethics in Financial Services
- Principles of Management
- Business Decision Making
- International Business
- Financial Statements for Specific Businesses
You will also have an individual study programme to help you build the skills and experience you need to progress onto higher education or gain employment.
Maths and English
To help you secure your dream career, you will also continue developing your maths and English skills alongside your full-time course. If you haven’t achieved GCSE grade 4/C in English and maths at age 16, you will continue to study these through resits or taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
How maths will support your career
- Calculating production costs, including materials, machinery, labour, expenses and marketing
- Working out the price of goods so you can stay in profit
- Running a payroll system to ensure workers get paid correctly
- Ordering goods and services
- Working out your business accounts
How English will support your career
- Good quality speaking and listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues and customers
- Customer service requires good English skills in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is vital for following instructions, reading documents and emails or understanding the ideas, aspirations and demands of colleagues and competitors
- English is important when preparing a CV or business proposal, and for putting together advertising and marketing plans for your business
Our business lecturers are looking for students who are enthusiastic and passionate about business, together with a keen determination to succeed in the industry, so please contact Admissions if you do not have the specific requirements outlined below.
If you are unsure if your qualification is equivalent or if you wish to check if you meet the entry requirements for this course, please call 0121 214 2919, email email@example.com or use our live chat.
English and maths
As applicants are required to achieve English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C) prior to entering this course, University College Birmingham will not offer English or Maths alongside the Business and Finance course.
4 GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) including English Language and Maths, or equivalent.
Supporting documents required
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance. This will be assessed in conjunction with your qualifications and application during the confirmation of your place at University College Birmingham.
- If you are a school leaver (over 19), you will be required to provide a reference from a previous education provider or employer in support of your application.
Guaranteed progression option
Students who achieve 56 UCAS points or more from this qualification will be automatically guaranteed a place on one of our degree courses in the University College Birmingham Business School.
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed through coursework assignments and projects, some of which will involve industry-related visits and external assessment.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2021-2024.
Work placements offer a wealth of benefits alongside your studies, helping you put your learning into practice, develop your skills and understanding of the workplace, boost your CV for your chosen career or enhance your UCAS application for higher education. Our hired@UCB team can help find the ideal placement for you.
As part of this business college course, you will undertake a work placement each week during both the first and second year of the course.
Work alongside experts in your sector
A snapshot of some of the employers we have worked with:
- Soho BID (Birmingham)
- 001 Inspiration (Birmingham)
- St Mary's Hospice Shop (Birmingham)
- Wolverhampton Art Gallery (Wolverhampton)
The connections the College has with businesses in Birmingham give students like me the chance to network with potential employers. Ultimately I want to become an entrepreneur, and the first-hand experience from my placement gave me the chance to see how business owners operate in order for their businesses to be successful.
The example roles and salaries below are intended as a guide only.
Average Salary: £29,250
Average Salary: £24,000
Business development manager
Average Salary: £42,500
Average salary: £26,500 – £30,500
Advertising account executive
Average Salary: £35,000
Financial services customer adviser
Average Salary: £37,000
Aspiring to a higher level career? Complete this course and you could progress onto our Finance and Accounting degree.
We are here to support your career goals every step of the way.