Why choose this apprenticeship?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Learn key supervisor skills for the hospitality sector as well as selecting from a number of specialisms, from food and beverage, bar or front office to housekeeping, concierge and events
- LEARN WHILE YOU WORK – Gain a Level 3 qualification while putting your learning into practice in the workplace
- MOVE UP TO HIGHER EDUCATION – Complete the Level 3 apprenticeship and you could move onto a higher apprenticeship or our range of university hospitality courses at degree level
- TEAM SCOTLAND PARTNERSHIP – Our University will be the home for Team Scotland at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, offering exciting opportunities for our students to work with the team and its athletes
University College Birmingham is renowned for its outstanding food and hospitality training facilities. Our two award-winning restaurants on campus provide the perfect environment for students on our hospitality courses to boost their skills across different service styles.
Our training restaurants and industry-standard kitchens provide you with a unique behind-the-scenes view of the hospitality and catering industry during your studies
Open to the public, The Atrium offers a superb fine dining experience in a modern, contemporary setting that ranks alongside top restaurants in Birmingham
Offering a great informal setting for lunch and evening meals, The Brasserie hosts theme nights staged by our hospitality students
- You need to be aged 16 or over and in full-time employment. You will already be working in a suitable role, or we can help you find one.
- You will need a relevant Level 2 qualification and, ideally, English and maths at grade 4 (grade C) or above. However, all applicants will be considered on an individual basis. You will also be required to attend an interview at University College Birmingham.
- If you do not have a grade 4 (grade C) or above in English and maths, you will need to undertake an assessment so we can ensure you receive the best support for that subject.
- If you have experience working in the industry, we would be delighted to hear from you.
Teaching and assessment
This apprenticeship is for a maximum of 18 months with a mix of theory and practical delivery at University College Birmingham and in the workplace.
Throughout your training your tutor will guide you through assessments both in the workplace and at college. You will have practical assessments, online tests and assignments throughout your apprenticeship.
Your personal assessor will visit you regularly in the workplace (and will be happy to see you more often if you need extra help). They will assist you throughout your training to help you achieve your qualification.
You may need to attend college to gain additional skills but this will be discussed with you and your employer.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
All apprenticeship standards require successful completion of end-point assessments graded by an approved external apprenticeship organisation.
In order to pass the Hospitality Supervisor apprenticeship end-point assessment, you must successfully complete the following:
- Multi-choice questionnaire
- Practical observation in a working environment
- Written business project
- Professional discussion