International football, Test cricket, athletics, tennis, golf… Birmingham shines when it comes to staging global sporting events. The biggest names in world sport come to the city to compete.
Top 5 sports facts
- Birmingham is home to two major football teams, Aston Villa and Birmingham City, and two other famous clubs, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers are nearby
- The Jamaican athletes team, including sprinting legend Usain Bolt, were based in Birmingham during the 2012 London Olympics
- The Belfry has staged golf’s Ryder Cup between Europe and the USA four times
- Cricketer Brian Lara reached a world record 501 not out while playing for Warwickshire at Edgbaston in 1994
- Birmingham stages the annual Aegon Classic tennis tournament each year, attracting the world’s top women players before the Wimbledon championships