Sport massage therapists work with a range of clients from full-time professionals in a wide array of sports to recreational participants in a health and leisure capacity.
The Sports Massage and Remedial Therapy FdA is intended to develop and implement practical vocational skills such as sports massage, advanced soft tissue skills and exercise prescription for the maintenance of general health. The focus is on the practical application of skills within a clinical setting, to treat and support athletes and the general population.
There are options to gain further industry accredited qualifications to enrich your studies and maximise your employability, and you are able to register with the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC), the UK voluntary regulator of complementary healthcare practitioners, once you graduate.
What our staff and students say
This course will give graduates the skills to work in a professional setting on a wide range of individuals. The training will enable practitioners to provide a highly-skilled, individualised treatment within an industry setting. This is an extremely practical foundation degree, where students are encouraged to participate in a variety of events and work on members of.
Why choose this course?
- Industry accredited course - We are working towards accreditation with the Sports Massage Association (SMA) and you would become a student member on enrolment. On successful completion of the foundation degree, you would then be entitled to full membership
- Enrichment opportunities - You will have access to additional qualifications and enhancement opportunities to enrich your studies and boost your career prospects. You will also benefit from the Sports Performance and Rehabilitation Student Conference - watch highlights from last year
- Specialise your studies - You will gain a high level of technical competency in all areas of soft tissue treatment and remedial therapy/exercise. You will also study the science and techniques of sports massage through theoretical and practical training, backed by current industry research
- Employment edge – You will gain invaluable work experience and training throughout your course to maximise industry engagement – and future job opportunities
- Practical application - You will have the opportunity to attend key sports events to assist with sports massage support and work with clients in our clinics
Enrichment opportunities/additional qualifications
- There are options to gain further industry accredited qualifications such as ITEC Level 4 Sports Massage or Level 2 Fitness Instructing (gym-based)
*Extra qualifications incur an additional fee (reduced).
New sports facilities for 2019/20
The fantastic news for anyone joining our sports-focused degree courses is that they will have exclusive use of the state-of-the-art facilities at our new higher education building, Moss House, when it opens in 2019/20. These will include a cutting edge gym incorporating all the latest equipment and sports technology and a 35-metre indoor running track to assess speed and performance.
Find out more about our new Moss House campus.
Students also have use of the state-of-the-art, all-weather pitch at Avery Fields, which we share with leading Birmingham rugby club Bournville RFC. The purpose-built, 15-acre site has undergone a £3m transformation, with the all-weather pitch situated alongside two, new grass pitches and an impressive clubhouse, which includes function room, modern changing facilities and a physiotherapy suite.
The University’s teaching facilities also includes an extensive range of state-of-the-art equipment:
- Sports Injury / Massage Clinics - There are two Sports Injury / Massage Clinics where the University's Sports Therapy students offer a variety of services to professional athletes, students and members of the public. Students are trained to assess and treat patients with musculoskeletal injuries and deliver services such as massage and rehabilitation courses. View virtual tour.
As a new student studying this degree full-time, you will receive £300 per year via our Kick-Start Scheme (eligibility criteria applies). The scheme will support your studies and future career by contributing to course-related materials, uniform or selected items on campus. You might even qualify for an additional £500 per year.
Uniform and kit costs
This course incurs additional costs for uniform and kit. The approximate cost is £65. Please also be aware that prices are subject to change each year. Exact costs, as well as information on how to order the required items, will be provided prior to enrolment.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and a typical teaching week will have up to 15 contact hours, made up as follows:
- Smaller group teaching: Approximately 9 hours of teaching focusing on theoretical areas. This includes various activities to assist in your learning but will allow you to learn the underpinning knowledge required to excel in this field.
- Practical sessions: Hands-on lessons to apply the theory in practice, under the supervision and guidance of qualified teaching staff. Sessions take place in practical areas including clinics, the gym, the sports hall and the Human Performance Laboratory.
- Tutorials: 3 hours, being a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials per week.
- Field trips and sports events: Students are encouraged to attend a range of sporting events to provide sports therapy and/or sports massage support to athletes. Events could include the London Marathon and the Ride Across Britain.
- Work experience: UCB supports students to find appropriate work experience opportunities through our sports employability tutor and hired@UCB.
In addition, you are expected to commit to approximately 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and preparing for and completing assessment. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
Assessment gives you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and a variety of methods are used. The course has a strong emphasis on practical assessment.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 38%
- Practical assessment - 45%
- Written examinations - 17%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
A-level: An A-level grade profile of CD
BTEC: A BTEC grade profile of PPP. This can be achieved from either an Extended Diploma or a combination of smaller BTEC qualifications
Tariff: Other Level 3 qualifications are accepted at UCB – a minimum of 56 UCAS Tariff points will be required for entrance
Access to Higher Education Diploma: 56 UCAS Tariff points
Non-tariff: Non-UCAS Tariff based Level 3 qualifications are also considered for entry please contact email@example.com to check your eligibility.
Work-based: We also give equal consideration to applicants who are currently in work and wish to apply to UCB. To apply, you must have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience, demonstrating management or supervisory duties. Your application must also include a reference from your line manager supporting your entry to higher education. For further details please contact Admissions.
Students must also complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS). UCB will co-ordinate and fund the completion of the DBS check.
Find out more information on tariff entry requirements for 2019/20 entry.
For entry requirements for EU and international students, please visit the Country Specific Information page.
UCAS Tariff calculator
You can use our calculator below to convert your predicted/achieved grades into UCAS Tariff points.
If your total predicted/achieved points do not meet those outlined above or your qualification(s) do not appear on the UCAS Tariff please contact the admissions directly on 0121 604 1040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please wait a moment. Loading UCAS data...
Error loading UCAS data
We're very sorry but we had a problem connecting to UCAS to get our course data. We hope to bring this feature back online as soon as possible.
Please try again later.
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
There will be opportunities for students to work with the public in our commercial massage clinics and work with athletes at local and national sports events. There will be further opportunities with local teams and as sports massage providers as part of a work placement. This is an entrepreneurial industry where professionals are often self-employed and students are well supported through our enterprisehive@UCB staff and activities.
Previous UCB sports students have worked in placements at:
- Leicester Tigers Rugby Club
- West Bromwich Albion Ladies football team
- Aston Villa FC
- West Midlands Fire Service
Our hired@UCB team will make sure that you are well-matched for your placement and support your progress throughout your work experience.
What our employers say
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding a placement that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
If you do well on your placement, there are additional opportunities available such as recommendation for industry-supported mentoring schemes to guide you through your future career.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the exercise, health and wellness sector.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Health and fitness clubs
- The leisure industry
- Local authorities
- Health care sector
- Sports club
- Health farms
Successful graduates may choose to continue with further postgraduate studies. UCB offer a range of postgraduate degrees and you may be eligible for a postgraduate loan.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills. Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps - UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Sports Massage and Remedial Therapy