Graduates with broad experience and excellent skills are highly sought after in the sport and fitness industries. Whether you are interesting in coaching, fitness training, teaching, or a combination of areas, you will be well catered for in this course.
You will be offered guidance and opportunities to investigate the various facets of the sport and fitness industries, tailoring each area to suit your interests and career aims. Sport and fitness encompasses professional, amateur and educational roles. Many areas of industry require similar base knowledge in fields such as nutrition, anatomy and physiology. By building your knowledge, you can ensure that you are well-placed to exploit opportunities in this dynamic employment market. There are options to gain further industry accredited qualifications to enrich your studies and maximise your employability.
Students studying the FdA will have the option of progressing onto the final year of the BA (Hons).
What our staff and students say
I chose UCB first of all because it offered the perfect course option for me, and also because it felt like the right kind of atmosphere for me to be able to work and succeed in. The facilities are great and help is always on offer. The opportunities to gain other qualifications alongside my course are beneficial. I have already passed my Level 2 fitness instructors course.
Personal Trainer (PT) jobs are really competitive, but I was lucky in that my degree put me well ahead of other applicants. Employers are always really impressed by the specialised knowledge students on my degree course have about coaching, nutrition and fitness compared to self-taught candidates. It also means that I can help my clients make real, lasting changes to their lifestyle and health, which makes the job really satisfying. Working so closely with so many other sports graduates, both through rugby and personal training, I have realised that there are lots of people who are studying sport to the same level as me who don’t get anywhere near the amount of contact time I do, nor do they get any subsidies on the coaching and personal training qualifications we get.
Why choose this course?
- Enrichment opportunities - You will have access to additional qualifications and enhancement opportunities to enrich your studies and boost your career prospects
- Specialise your studies - You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which creates an opportunity to critically analyse a particular area or field of exercise, health and wellness that interests you
- Employment edge – You will have work experience opportunities throughout your course in order to optimise your industry engagement
- Practical application - You will get a strong knowledge of anatomy, physiology, exercise, fitness and sports coaching and apply these skills in practical and relevant ways
Enrichment opportunities/additional qualifications
- In Year 1, you will be able to obtain a Level 2 Certificate Fitness Instructor (NCFE)
- In Year 2, you can achieve a Level 3 Personal Trainer (NCFE)
- In Year 3, you can undertake a 1st4Sport Level 2 Award in Multi-Skills Sports Coaching.
- Also in Year 3, you will have the opportunity to undertake a 1st4Sport Level 2 Award in Instructing Weight Lifting from British Weight Lifting, which is an ideal qualification to take for those wishing to enter into a career in personal training and general sport industries, covering popular current weightlifting techniques such as Front Squat, Snatch, Deadlift, Bench Press and Clean and Jerk. In particular, Olympic techniques such as the Clean and Jerk and Snatch are commonly used as part of strength and conditioning programmes, within CrossFit gyms and increasingly within commercial gyms as they become increasingly well known. Being qualified to instruct these Olympic lifts will give you a very attractive unique selling point to future employers within the sports industry.
*Extra qualifications incur an additional fee (reduced).
New sports facilities for 2019/20
The fantastic news for anyone joining our sports-focused degree courses is that they will have exclusive use of the state-of-the-art facilities at our new higher education building, Moss House, when it opens in 2019/20. These will include a cutting edge gym incorporating all the latest equipment and sports technology and a 35-metre indoor running track to assess speed and performance.
Find out more about our new Moss House campus.
Students also have use of the state-of-the-art, all-weather pitch at Avery Fields, which we share with leading Birmingham rugby club Bournville RFC. The purpose-built, 15-acre site has undergone a £3m transformation, with the all-weather pitch situated alongside two, new grass pitches and an impressive clubhouse, which includes function room, modern changing facilities and a physiotherapy suite.
The University’s teaching facilities also includes an extensive range of state-of-the-art equipment:
- Performance Gym - Our teaching and performance gym is used to develop skills focused around analysing weight lifting techniques. Additionally, we use local specialist facilities to ensure students are exposed to a wide range of industry facilities
- Sports Hall - The University sports hall is used for fitness testing and conditioning activities as well as a facility for students to develop their sports coaching skills
- Richmond House Gym - This is a commercial level gym which is also used for teaching purposes. Here, students will learn more about exercise induction and delivery as well as conducting a variety of assessments. View virtual tour.
- Human Performance Laboratory - The Human Performance Laboratory is used for undergraduate teaching, data collection for research projects and sport and exercise consultancy. View virtual tour.
As a new student studying this degree full-time, you will receive £300 per year via our Kick-Start Scheme (eligibility criteria applies). The scheme will support your studies and future career by contributing to course-related materials, uniform or selected items on campus. You might even qualify for an additional £500 per year.
Uniform and kit costs
This course incurs additional costs for uniform and kit. The approximate cost is £100. Please also be aware that prices are subject to change each year. Exact costs, as well as information on how to order the required items, will be provided prior to enrolment.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and a typical teaching week will have up to 12 contact hours made up as follows:
- Large group teaching: 6 hours of lectures in lecture rooms
- Smaller group teaching: 3 hours of teaching in smaller groups
- Tutorials: 3 hours being a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials per week
In addition, you are expected to commit to approximately 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and preparing for and completing assessment. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 55%
- Practical assessment - 35%
- Written examinations - 10%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Sport and Fitness Studies BA (Hons)
A Level: An A level grade profile of CCC
BTEC: A BTEC grade profile of MMM, this can be achieved from either an Extended Diploma or a combination of smaller BTEC qualifications.
Tariff: Other Level 3 qualifications are accepted at UCB for entrance, a minimum of 96 UCAS Tariff points will be required.
Access to Higher Education Diploma: 96 UCAS Tariff points including a minimum of 15 Level 3 credits at Distinction.
Sport and Fitness Studies FdA
A Level: An A level grade profile of CD
BTEC: A BTEC grade profile of PPP, this can be achieved from either an Extended Diploma or a combination of smaller BTEC qualifications.
Tariff: Other Level 3 qualifications are accepted at UCB for entrance, a minimum of 56 UCAS Tariff points will be required for entrance.
Access to Higher Education Diploma: 56 UCAS Tariff points
Non-tariff: Non-UCAS Tariff based Level 3 qualifications are also considered for entry please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check your eligibility.
Work-based: We also give equal consideration to applicants who are currently in work and wish to apply to UCB. To apply, you must have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience, demonstrating management or supervisory duties. Your application must also include a reference from your line manager supporting your entry to higher education. For further details please contact Admissions.
Find out more information on tariff entry requirements for 2019/20 entry.
For entry requirements for EU and international students, please visit the Country Specific Information page.
UCAS Tariff calculator
You can use our calculator below to convert your predicted/achieved grades into UCAS Tariff points.
If your total predicted/achieved points do not meet those outlined above or your qualification(s) do not appear on the UCAS Tariff please contact the admissions directly on 0121 604 1040 or email email@example.com.
Please wait a moment. Loading UCAS data...
Error loading UCAS data
We're very sorry but we had a problem connecting to UCAS to get our course data. We hope to bring this feature back online as soon as possible.
Please try again later.
FdA students will study modules for years 1 and 2. Upon successful completion FdA students will have the option of progressing onto the final year.
Plus one option from:
Plus two options from:
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
You are encouraged to gain work experience throughout this course because it is a great opportunity to put what you have learned into practice alongside qualified professionals. Over the years we have developed close working relationships within the industry so that we can offer you a wide range of placement opportunities alongside your studies.
Our hired@UCB team will make sure that you are well-matched for your placement and support your progress throughout your work experience.
What our employers say
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding a placement that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
As the owner of an elite strength and conditioning gym I will always look for something different in a coach that makes them stand out from the crowd. This will prove even more important in a fitness industry that is becoming more saturated year-on-year. The Sport and Fitness Studies degree course at UCB guides student learning through different areas of the fitness industry, allowing graduates to exploit opportunities in developing parts of a truly dynamic market. Sport and Fitness Studies graduates will stand out from the crowd.
If you do well on your placement, there are additional opportunities available such as recommendation for industry-supported mentoring schemes to guide you through your future career.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the exercise, health and wellness sector. Graduates have also gone on to work as health and fitness professionals, in health promotion or as fitness instructors or personal trainers.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Sports development
- Strength and conditioning
- Armed forces or uniformed services
- Teaching or lecturing (via a PGCE)
Successful graduates may choose to continue with further postgraduate studies. UCB offer a range of postgraduate degrees and you may be eligible for a postgraduate loan.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills. Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps - UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their careers in industry.
Sport and Fitness Studies
Sport and Fitness Studies
Samuel Victor Round
Sport and Fitness Studies