If you are currently working in a service-based industry such as retail, hospitality, tourism, events, entertainment or leisure and want to build on your academic qualifications, then this is the course for you.
You will explore concepts and theories relating to the service industry and apply them to the work setting with which you are most familiar. You will develop the knowledge required of a current service sector manager with a view to enhancing your career progression and employability.
Another focus of this course is key management disciplines, which will build on your operational management skills and encourage your understanding of how concepts are applied to various sectors of the service industry.
The length of the course will depend upon your individual work commitments, but it usually takes three years of part-time study.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will develop your individual and personal professionalism, improving your knowledge of the self and enhancing your performance in the workplace as well as your fundamental research and study skills.
- It will help you to truly understand your role in the industry and help you to put your theory into practice.
- It has a flexible approach to learning, which enables you to enhance your knowledge and skills whilst maintaining full or part-time employment.
- You don’t have to have any previous qualifications to study this course – your work experience is what qualifies you.
- This course can lead onto the Service Sector Management Top-Up degree, which then allows progression onto postgraduate level courses.
Teaching & assessment
This course is designed for online delivery and does not therefore require attendance.
You will need to apportion approximately 10 hours per week of your own study time in preparation for lectures and preparing for and completing assessments. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material. Students who study Professional Events Practice in years 1 & 2 are expected to accumulate, on average, 8 hours of work experience per week (360 hours).
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used. There is a strong focus on the vocational nature of this course including live project work and industry based assignments.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 93%
- Written examination - 7%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
No formal qualifications are necessary for this course – your work experience is what qualifies you to study as this is a specialist part-time course that is specifically designed for people with experience at a supervisory or managerial level.
This course is suitable for those working in service based industries including retail, hospitality, tourism, events, entertainment, leisure and licensed retail and attracts a wide range of candidates who may not necessarily have conventional academic qualifications. Applicants with relevant experience at managerial and supervisory levels may also be admitted.
Plus one option from:
Graduating with this degree will enable you to further your career path in a wide range of areas, including:
- Hospitality and licensed retail management
- Tourism management
- Events management
- Entertainment management
- Leisure management
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.