This course is offered as both a BA (Hons) and FdA. Students studying the FdA will have the option of progressing onto the final year of the BA (Hons) at the end of year 3.
This course seeks to provide you with the industry know-how to develop your career in hospitality with a specific focus on event hospitality. You will develop key hospitality management skills, coupled with a complementary awareness of events provision and management.
Birmingham hosts a vibrant hospitality and events industry and is home to the NEC, ICC and Barclaycard Arena, which host an array of events, festivals and concerts. With our network of contacts in the local area, across the UK and overseas, our work placement team will assist you in securing a placement that matches your career aspirations.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will get a broad overview of the hospitality industry and look in detail at how different venues manage operations and stage events.
- You will have the opportunity go on a 12-month placement in order to develop your management skills and apply financial, marketing and human resource management theory to the hospitality and events environment first-hand.
- You will get managerial experience by having the opportunity to plan and run your own hospitality event – overseeing all the elements from marketing and publicity to catering, staffing, finance and operations.
- It offers plenty of optional modules to allow you to develop a specialism relevant to your chosen career. Including Digital Marketing Management, Festivals and Event Tourism and International Marketing.
- You will choose an area of the industry that interests you as the focus of your research project, which will increase your independent learning skills and your future employability.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and a typical teaching week will have up to 18 teaching contact hours made up as follows:
- Large group teaching - 6 hours of lectures
- Smaller group teaching - 4 hours in specialist UCB facilities plus a further 3 hours of seminars in small groups discussing topics presented in lectures in specialist UCB facilities
- Tutorials: 2 hours being a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials per week
- Subject advice sessions - 2 hours per week
- Industrial placement tutorial - 1 hour
In addition you are likely to need to commit 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and preparing for and completing assessment. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used. There is a strong focus on the vocational nature of this course including live hospitality event work and industry based assignments.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 55%
- Practical Assessment - 37%
- Written Examination - 8%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment schedules will be issued to students at induction.
*UCB reserves the right to make changes to the programme content.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Hospitality with Events Management BA (Hons)
Tariff: A minimum of 96 UCAS Tariff points from at least two A Levels or equivalent BTEC qualifications.
Hospitality with Events Management FdA
Tariff: A minimum of 56 UCAS Tariff points from at least one A Level or equivalent BTEC qualifications.
Non-tariff: Non-UCAS Tariff based Level 3 qualifications are also considered for entry.
Work-based: We also give equal consideration to applicants who are currently in work and wish to apply to UCB. To apply, you must have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience, demonstrating management or supervisory duties. Your application must also include a reference from your line manager supporting your entry to higher education. For further details please contact Admissions.
Find out more information on tariff entry requirements for 2019/20 entry.
For entry requirements for EU and international students, please visit the Country Specific Information page.
UCAS Tariff calculator
You can use our calculator below to convert your predicted/achieved grades into UCAS Tariff points.
If your total predicted/achieved points do not meet those outlined above or your qualification(s) do not appear on the UCAS Tariff please contact the admissions directly on 0121 604 1040 or email email@example.com
Please wait a moment. Loading UCAS data...
Error loading UCAS data
We're very sorry but we had a problem connecting to UCAS to get our course data. We hope to bring this feature back online as soon as possible.
Please try again later.
FdA students will study modules for years 1 and 2. Upon successful completion FdA students will have the option of progressing onto the final year.
Year 2 is the work placement year for Foundation Degree students. BA (Hons) Degree students start their year in industry in the second semester of year 2 and finish it at the end of the first semester of year 3.
Plus one option from:
Plus one option from:
In the final year students will have the option of choosing one of the following research modules:
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
You will gain valuable work experience on a 12-month work placement. This is an exciting opportunity to put what you have learned into practice, broaden your experience and demonstrate your abilities to potential employers.
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the hospitality sector in the UK and internationally. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding a paid placement that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the industry, including working in the catering, conference and restaurant sectors. Graduates have also gone on to start their own events, catering or hospitality business.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Hotel management
- Business centre management
- Conference and exhibition venues
- Specialist event organisation
- Accommodation management
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Hospitality with Events Management
Tatenda Annie Samwanda
Hospitality with Events Management