We will continue to accept applications for this course after 15 January UCAS deadline date.
This course is for direct entry onto year 2 only for students wishing to transfer.
The number of spas has grown exponentially in the last decade to make them an important part of the UK leisure industry, worth up to £70 million a year. In addition, the wellness sector has seen a considerable growth of 9% globally.
To create a successful spa you have to create an inviting and relaxing atmosphere, manage a variety of specialist therapies and run an efficient and profitable business. Most hotel resorts now have their own spas and they are looking for trained professionals with the skills needed to manage them at home and abroad.
This course gives you the leadership skills and practical experience you need to be able to manage a spa or start your own spa business. For those who are interested in working overseas, there is the opportunity to learn another language to further improve your career prospects.
Why should I chose this course?
- You will examine the range of activities that make up the spa industry and gain practical experience and the essential business skills you need to manage a spa or start your own business.
- You will develop your management skills and learn how to apply financial, marketing and human resource management theory to the spa environment.
- You will take a high-level view of the international spa industry, examining the strategic issues affecting development of the spa concept in the UK and around the world.
- You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which creates an opportunity to critically analyse a particular area or field of spa management that interests you.
- You will also get the opportunity to choose a second language to study alongside your course to add to your qualifications and career prospects.
Kit / uniform
You will need to purchase a kit and a uniform which portrays UCB’s corporate professional image in our practical areas. The kit will cost approximately £40 and the uniform will cost approximately £65 including your name badge. An optional cardigan is also available to order.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
The Spa facilities
Our state-of-the-art salons feature the latest equipment and are open to the general public. All treatments are carried out by our students - providing you with the necessary skills in order to gain future employment.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and a typical teaching week will have up to 16 contact hours made up as follows:
- Large group teaching - 4-6 hours of lectures in lecture rooms. This depends on the students previous qualifications.
- Smaller group teaching - 2-3 hours of teaching in smaller groups.
- Practical teaching - 0-4 hours of teaching in the salon environment. This will depend on the students previous qualifications.
- Tutorials - 3 hours being a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials per week
In addition, you are likely to need to commit 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and preparing for and completing assessment. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
UCB will encourage and actively support students in sourcing appropriate work experience opportunities.
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows, however this will depend on student’s prior qualifications and module pathways studied:
- Coursework - 68%
- Practical assessment - 23%
- Written examinations - 9%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Applicants must have a relevant HNC with a Pass profile or 120 Credits from a higher education qualification (FdA, BA, CertHE, DipHE)
If you have any queries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are encouraged to gain work experience throughout this course through a work placement because it is a great opportunity to put what you have learned into practice alongside qualified professionals. Over the years we have developed close working relationships with leading fashion brands, musical and theatre directors and local community services so that we can offer you a wide range of placement opportunities alongside your studies.
Our hired@UCB team will make sure that you are well-matched for your placement and support your progress throughout your work experience.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the spa management sector. Graduates have also gone on to work in spa and beauty promotion, working on luxury cruise ships or as self-employed spa and beauty technicians.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Spa assistant management
- Creative supervision
- Beauty product sales and marketing
- Beauty assistant management
- Beauty therapy entrepreneur
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.