This course is now closed for 2020 entry. If you are interested in applying to start in 2021, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the number of non-surgical and non-invasive aesthetic treatments happening in the UK increasing year on year, the demand for qualified practitioners is at an all-time high. This course enables you to study this rapidly expanding sector and practice a range of non-medical procedures within the fields of cosmetology, hair removal and skin rejuvenation, developing knowledge and skills in advanced electrical face and body technologies.
In response to industry demand and using the very latest equipment, procedures you will master include laser treatments, intense pulsed light, chemical peeling and skin needling. You’ll have the chance to gain real-world experience through a work placement and engage with industry experts through conferences and guest speaker visits, as well as having the opportunity to visit the Mesoestetic production facility in Spain.
Open to therapists and non-therapists alike, the course is, most importantly, a gateway into a variety of reputable and lucrative careers. These include laser practitioner, cosmeceutical skincare specialist, treatment or training coordinator, business development manager in aesthetic devices, patient treatment coordinator and clinic director.
Demonstrating best in practice and providing reassurance to students and clients alike, UCB adheres to Joint Council for Cosmetic Practitioners (JCCP) and Cosmetic Practice Standards Authority (CPSA) guidelines.
What our staff and students say
Evolving enormously, the beauty industry has been crying out for a comprehensive qualification that meets modern-day demand. Invasive and costly cosmetic surgery is no longer in Vogue and it is fantastic to be able to offer a degree that is packed full of training in popular non-surgical procedures, offers invaluable insight into the industry and develops key skills that will give graduates an edge in the exciting field of aesthetics.
Why choose this course?
- Real-world experience - You will be fully supported in finding relevant work placements complementing your studies, giving you both transferable professional skills and hands-on experience of the industry
- Cutting-edge technology - You will gain the practical experience and skills you need to perform non-surgical and non-invasive procedures using the latest highly-specialised equipment, from cryotherapy machines (fat freezing) to high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) and a range of other face and body technologies
- Residential visits – You’ll travel abroad to the Mesoestetic production facility in Barcelona, visiting the clinical labs and learning first-hand about treatment solutions, products, manufacturing safety standards and product testing. The cost of this residential visit is included in the course fees
- Learn from the experts - Qualified and highly experienced lecturers will ensure you are fully supported throughout the duration of your course, with full supervision in practical sessions in the clinic and lectures covering every element of aesthetic practice. You’ll also meet with guest speakers including the likes of JCCP, oncology teams and product house experts
- Become industry ready - You will have the chance to enter a rapidly expanding, highly profitable industry with a huge number of potential career options. Not only that, your hands-on training in a clinical environment will put you at a significant advantage over non-graduates
- Expand your network- Learning in a variety of different settings will enable you to put theory into practice and network with future clients and employers. You’ll also engage with industry professionals at events such as ACE Conference and Professional Beauty North
Our teaching facilities are state-of-the-art and feature the latest clinic equipment, cosmeceutical product ranges and treatments from top brands including Lynton Lasers and Mesoestetic.
Aspire Aesthetic Clinic
The Aspire Aesthetic Clinic at UCB offers:
- A clinical environment - minimising and reducing the risk of infection transmission using the latest ultrasonic cleaning technology and UV technology
- A clinically-controlled laser room
- State-of-the-art equipment - Observ 520, a range of multi-platform, non-surgical and non-invasive face and body equipment
- Clinical client software management
Visit our new Aspire Aesthetics website.
Uniform and kit costs
This course incurs additional costs for uniform and kit. The approximate cost is £290. Please also be aware that prices are subject to change each year. Exact costs, as well as information on how to order the required items, will be provided prior to enrolment.
As a new student studying this degree full-time, you will receive £300 per year via our Kick-Start Scheme (eligibility criteria applies). The scheme will support your studies and future career by contributing to course-related materials, uniform or selected items on campus. You might even qualify for an additional £500 per year.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Teaching & assessment
A typical teaching week will be delivered by qualified, experienced lecturers and involve up to 16 contact hours made up as follows:
- Four to six hours of large group lectures.
- Two to three hours of smaller group teaching.
- Four to eight hours of hands-on learning in the clinic.
- Two to three hours of a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials.
The number of hours you will spend in large group lectures and practical sessions will depend on your previous qualifications.
In addition, you will need to commit around 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and completing assessments. UCB’s online study platform Canvas provides 24-hour access to learning and support material.
The University both encourages and provides extensive support for you to find appropriate work experience opportunities.
You will be assessed using a variety of different methods designed to test your strengths in a range of areas.
An estimated breakdown of assessments for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 68%
- Practical assessment - 23%
- Written examinations - 9%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only. Actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction, and will depend on your prior qualifications and the module pathways you choose to take.
All teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Aesthetic Practitioner BA (Hons)
A Level: An A level grade profile of CCC
BTEC: A BTEC grade profile of MMM. This can be achieved from either an Extended Diploma or a combination of smaller BTEC qualifications
Tariff: Other Level 3 qualifications are accepted at UCB – a minimum of 96 UCAS Tariff points will be required
Access to Higher Education Diploma: 96 UCAS Tariff points including a minimum of 15 Level 3 credits at Distinction
Aesthetic Practitioner FdA
A-level: An A-level grade profile of CD
BTEC: A BTEC grade profile of PPP. This can be achieved from either an Extended Diploma or a combination of smaller BTEC qualifications
Tariff: Other Level 3 qualifications are accepted at UCB – a minimum of 56 UCAS Tariff points will be required for entrance
Access to Higher Education Diploma: 56 UCAS Tariff points
Non-tariff: Non-UCAS Tariff based Level 3 qualifications are also considered for entry. Please contact email@example.com to check your eligibility.
Work based: We equally consider applicants who have experience working in the aesthetics industry, but do not have a formal qualification. A reference from your current or most recent line manager supporting your entry to higher education will be requested.
For entry requirements for EU and international students, please visit the Country Specific Information page.
UCAS Tariff calculator
You can use our calculator below to convert your predicted/achieved grades into UCAS Tariff points.
If your total predicted/achieved points do not meet those outlined above or your qualification(s) do not appear on the UCAS Tariff please contact the admissions directly on 0121 604 1040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please wait a moment. Loading UCAS data...
Error loading UCAS data
We're very sorry but we had a problem connecting to UCAS to get our course data. We hope to bring this feature back online as soon as possible.
Please try again later.
Plus one pathway module from the below
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
*Application of treatments in practical modules will adhere to the guidelines of the JCCP, which state that practitioners must be expected to be supervised for at least one year.
As part of our course, you will gain valuable real-world experience through a work placement. This is a great opportunity to put what you have learnt into practice working alongside qualified professionals. Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the beauty industry and continue to develop fantastic links with the aesthetics industry.
Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding a placement that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
What our employers say
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field.
If you do well on your placement, there are additional opportunities available such as recommendation for industry-supported mentoring schemes to guide you through your future career.
Ideal for anyone looking to take advantage of the ever-increasing popularity of age management and aesthetic procedures, this course is an ideal stepping stone towards a reputable, lucrative career in a flourishing industry.
It will not only give you the most up-to-date knowledge base, but also the practical skills to allow you to carry out procedures and treatments in a real-life setting.
You would also be well equipped to work in a sales or training role within the cosmeceutical industry as a result of this degree.
It will be possible for you to enter a wide variety of job roles, for example:
- Aesthetic Practitioner
- Laser practitioner
- Cosmeceutical skincare specialist
- Treatment or training coordinator
- Business development manager – aesthetic devices
- Patient treatment coordinator
- Clinic director
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills. Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps - UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Aesthetic Practitioner FdA
Aesthetic Practitioner FdA