UCB’s online top-up in Service Sector Management covers key management topic areas, including finance, HR, marketing and a research project.
The course will develop your forefront knowledge, which can be applied in the workplace to improve your effectiveness as a service business manager in this challenging and competitive environment. You can expect to develop your existing skills and abilities to enable you to make an immediate contribution to the improvement of the operations in which you work. The course will give you the academic knowledge to succeed in this environment and enhance your own career progression.
The course is taught as an online top-up and incorporates a range of online teaching methods, including podcasts, videos, slideshows, presentations and informative assessment activities.
Why should I choose this course?
- As an online course, it has a flexible approach to learning, which enables you to enhance your knowledge and skills whilst maintaining full or part-time employment.
- If you are currently working in a service-based industry such as retail, hospitality, tourism, events, entertainment or leisure and want to build on your academic qualifications, then this is the course for you.
- You will develop your individual and personal professionalism, improving your knowledge of the self and enhancing your performance in the workplace as well as higher level research and study skills.
- It will provide you with knowledge that can be applied to your management role and can help to develop your management career.
- The length of study will depend upon your individual work commitments.
Teaching & assessment
This course is designed for online delivery and does not, therefore, require attendance.
You will need to apportion approximately 10 hours per week of your own study time in preparation for online learning sessions, including additional research and reading as well as preparing for and completing assessments. UCB Online provides 24 hour, 365 days a year access to learning and support materials.
The course employs a variety of approaches to assessment, which encourage you to demonstrate your strengths in a number of different ways. There is a strong focus on the vocational nature of this course, including live project work and industry-based assignments.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 93%
- Written examination - 7%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Normally, applicants must have a relevant HND with a Merit profile or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you have any queries, please email: email@example.com
UCB encourages you to seek as much industry experience and exposure throughout your studies and we work with industry providers to offer you a variety of opportunities (paid and voluntary).
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the hospitality, tourism and events management sector. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding work that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to further your career path in a wide range of areas, including:
- Hospitality and licensed retail management
- Tourism management
- Events management
- Entertainment management
- Leisure management
- Restaurant management
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises specialist staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.