Non-surgical and non-invasive aesthetic treatments are on the rise year after year in the UK, putting the demand for qualified practitioners at an all-time high. Our Aesthetic Practitioner degree top-up course builds on your existing knowledge and skills for practising a wide range of non-medical procedures, offering you a gateway to a range of reputable and lucrative careers in this rapidly expanding sector.
Open to therapists and non-therapists alike, this top-up degree covers a variety of non-medical procedures within cosmetology, hair removal and skin rejuvenation as well as advanced electrical face and body technologies. From laser practitioner or cosmeceutical skincare specialist to aesthetic operations and clinic director, our course will help you further develop the specialist knowledge and skill set you need for a variety of roles within the industry.
Learning and working with real clients in our state-of-the-art Aspire Aesthetics clinic at University College Birmingham, you will gain valuable hands-on experience using the very latest equipment, procedures and techniques. You will also have the opportunity to visit the Mesoestetic production facility in Spain, as well as the chance to engage with industry experts, helping you build the experience and contacts to kick off your career.
Demonstrating best in practice and providing reassurance to students and clients alike, University College Birmingham adheres to Joint Council for Cosmetic Practitioners (JCCP) and Cosmetic Practice Standards Authority (CPSA) guidelines.
What our staff and students say
Evolving enormously, the beauty industry has been crying out for a comprehensive qualification that meets modern-day demand. Invasive and costly cosmetic surgery is no longer in vogue and it is fantastic to be able to offer a degree that is packed full of training in popular non-surgical procedures, offers invaluable insight into the industry and develops key skills that will give graduates an edge in the exciting field of aesthetics.
Why choose this course?
- Cutting-edge technology – Working in our Aspire Aesthetics clinic, you will gain the practical experience and skills you need to perform non-surgical and non-invasive procedures using the latest highly-specialised equipment, from cryotherapy machines (fat freezing) to high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) and a range of other advanced face and body technologies
- Residential visits – You’ll travel abroad to the Mesoestetic production facility in Barcelona, visiting the clinical labs and learning first-hand about treatment solutions, products, manufacturing safety standards and product testing. The cost of this residential visit is included in your course fees
- Learn from the experts - Qualified and highly experienced lecturers will ensure you are fully supported throughout the duration of your course, with full supervision in practical sessions in the clinic and lectures covering every element of aesthetic practice. You’ll also meet with guest speakers including the likes of JCCP, oncology teams and product house experts
- Become industry ready - You will have the chance to enter a rapidly expanding, highly profitable industry with a huge number of potential career options. Not only that, but your hands-on training in a clinical environment will put you at a significant advantage over non-graduates
- Expand your network- Learning in a variety of different settings will enable you to put theory into practice and network with future clients and employers. You’ll also engage with industry professionals at events such as ACE Conference and Professional Beauty North
Our teaching facilities are state of the art and feature the latest clinic equipment, cosmeceutical product ranges and treatments from top brands including Lynton Lasers and Mesoestetic.
As a student on our Aesthetic Practitioner course, you will have the chance to learn and work in the Aspire Aesthetics clinic at University College Birmingham. This state-of-the-art facility offers:
- A clinical environment – minimising and reducing the risk of infection transmission using the latest ultrasonic cleaning technology and UV technology
- Clinically-controlled laser rooms
- Clinical teaching rooms
- State-of-the-art equipment –includes Observ 520 and a range of multi-platform, non-surgical and non-invasive face and body equipment
- Clinical client software management
Visit our new Aspire Aesthetics website
Uniform and kit costs
This course incurs additional costs for uniform and kit. The approximate cost is £290. Please also be aware that prices are subject to change each year. Exact costs, as well as information on how to order the required items, will be provided prior to enrolment.
As a new student studying this degree full-time, you will receive £300 per year via our Kick-Start Scheme (eligibility criteria applies). The scheme will support your studies and future career by contributing to course-related materials, uniform or selected items on campus. You could even qualify for an additional £500 per year.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about University College Birmingham and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Teaching and assessment
A typical teaching week will be delivered by qualified, experienced lecturers and involve up to 16 contact hours made up as follows:
- Four to six hours of large group lectures
- Two to three hours of smaller group teaching
- Four to six hours of hands-on learning in the clinic
- Two to three hours of a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials
The number of hours you will spend in large group lectures and practical sessions will depend on your previous qualifications.
In addition, you will need to commit around 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and completing assessments. UCB’s online study platform Canvas provides 24-hour access to learning and support material.
You will be assessed using a variety of different methods designed to test your strengths in a range of areas.
An estimated breakdown of assessments for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 50%
- Practical assessment - 50%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only. Actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction, and will depend on your prior qualifications.
All teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Academic: A relevant HND or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable, please contact us before completing an application. You can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Work Experience: Students will also be considered if applying with significant industry experience. We will explore with you whether your experience permits exemptions of previous modules based on your experiential learning. If you are interested in securing a place via this route, please contact our Admissions team upon submission of your application as you will be required to attend a meeting with the teaching teams to provide evidence of your industry knowledge.
Academic: European and International qualifications studied in a relevant subject matter will also be considered. Applicants will need to have achieved 120 ECTS or equivalent (European Credit Transfer).
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable, please contact us before completing an application. You can call us on 0121 604 1040 or send an email:
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
Designed for anyone looking to take advantage of the ever-increasing popularity of age management and aesthetic procedures, this top-up course is an ideal stepping stone towards a reputable, lucrative career in a flourishing industry.
It will not only give you the most up-to-date knowledge base, but also the practical skills to allow you to carry out procedures and treatments in a real-life setting.
You would also be well equipped to work in a sales or training role within the cosmeceutical industry.
It will be possible for you to enter a wide variety of job roles, for example:
- Aesthetic practitioner
- Laser practitioner
- Cosmeceutical skincare specialist
- Treatment or training coordinator
- Business development manager – aesthetic devices
- Patient treatment coordinator
- Clinic director
- Aesthetic operations
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills. Based in new facilities on the ground floor of Moss House, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – our University recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.