MSc / PGDip / PGCert / CPD
- Course length MSc
- 18 months full-time / 2 years full-time with optional placement/2.5 years part-time
- Course length PGDip
- 1 year full-time / 2 years part-time
- Course length PGCert
- 0.5 years full-time/1 year part-time
- CPD 20-credit modules
- 0.5 years full-time
- CPD sessions
- 2-hour industry workshop sessions
- Fees (Home/EU)
- View tuition fees
- Fees (International)
- View tuition fees
Our open days are a great opportunity to get an insight into our unique atmosphere and you will get to meet our staff and students.Our next Open Evening will be Wednesday 9 October 2019 - 5.30pm - 8pm. Book your place here.
Tourism is one of the largest, most dynamic and competitive industries in the world, creating a demand for managers who possess high-level knowledge and skills to succeed in this exciting global industry. This course will enhance your management potential and develop your critical thinking, problem-solving, research and analytical skills to make an immediate impact on a tourism or service organisation.
Students will have the opportunity to specialise in a range of areas through our optional module offer.
A strong emphasis is placed on the role of communication and creativity in effective management practice, together with an in-depth understanding of contemporary issues.
A key feature of this course is the ‘international live industry project’, where you will travel to an overseas destination and apply your skills and knowledge to a real tourism context.
Previous students have completed projects in the Gambia, the Azores (in Portugal), the Canaries, Cyprus, Madeira and Dubai.
During your studies, you will work on other industry consultancy projects, network and debate contemporary themes in ‘creative dialogue’ sessions and mix with a diverse range of nationalities. The course also offers you an opportunity to undertake an optional placement.
View the latest Tourism & Aviation newsletter.
Why should I choose this course?
- UCB is an Institute of Travel & Tourism ‘Centre of Excellence’ and a leading provider of innovative undergraduate and postgraduate courses in tourism, with a national and international reputation.
- UCB’s well-developed international links are reflected in our thriving international student body, which makes for a diverse and friendly atmosphere.
- Our lecturers have significant industry and academic experience.
- Postgraduate students will also benefit from a ‘professional mentor’ to offer further guidance and advice on advancing their careers.
- The ‘live industry project’ is a fantastic opportunity to travel abroad, gain experience and use the skills you develop on your course in a real industry environment.
New facilities for 2019
To support their research, students on this course will have use of exciting new simulation facilities, including a state-of-the-art, mock plane cabin. The facilities, which are due to open in Autumn 2019, will also include check-in areas and Galileo GDS system for training students. Find out more.
Teaching and assessment
Lectures, guest speakers, seminars, ‘creative dialogues’ and e-learning activities will facilitate your advanced learning and skill development in this exciting international tourism industry. There is also a range of action-learning opportunities through case studies, scenario planning, simulations and live projects.
You will be assessed through case study analysis, presentations, essays, e-discussions and debates through a range of individual and team-based environments.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
- MA/MSc - A grade classification of 2:2 is required or international equivalent
- PGDip - A grade classification of 3:3 is required or international equivalent
- A subject related UK or International honours degree from a recognised institution.
- We also consider applicants who are currently employed and wish to apply to UCB.
- To apply, you must have 5 years of relevant managerial work experience, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of the sector for the subject matter you are interested in pursuing.
- A reference detailing your roles and responsibilities from your line manager and a meeting with the programme team will usually be scheduled prior to a place being offered.
If your degree is not related and you do not have relevant managerial work experience please contact admissions, so that we can discuss your application on an individual basis before you apply.
If you have any queries, please email:
Options - choose one (semester 1)
Options - choose one (semester 2)
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
You will have the opportunity to undertake an optional six-month placement on the successful completion of the taught part of your course. You are required to secure your own placement with the support of our highly experienced hired@UCB team, who have a diverse mix of experience in a wide variety of industries.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the international tourism industry. Graduates have also gone on to work in corporate travel, destination management, business travel, consultancy, set up their own businesses, and in the wider travel industry.
Graduating with this MSc will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Tour operations
- Travel organisations
- Destination management organisations
- Tourism marketing
- The transport sector, including aviation
- The attractions sector
- Tourism consultancy
- Digital tourism organisations
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service, designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly-refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.