MSc / PGDip / PGCert
- Course length: MSc
- 18 months full-time / 2 years full-time with optional placement / 2.5 years part-time
- Course length: PGDip
- 1 year full-time / 2 years part-time
- Course length: PGCert
- 0.5 years full-time / 1 year part-time
- Fees (Home/EU)
- View tuition fees
- Fees (International)
- View tuition fees
The hospitality industry is a vast, global and dynamic industry which is constantly developing and expanding.
This course will develop your knowledge and understanding of the hospitality industry and the environment in which it operates and increase your critical awareness of current issues and new insights into this area of professional practice. Our previous graduates can be found all over the world, working in a variety of senior management positions in many different sectors of the industry.
You will also take part in a five-day study trip to a European city destination in order to carry out research related to one or more of your course assessments. Previous study visits have taken students to Paris, Madrid, Lisbon, Florence, Barcelona, Krakow and Rome. The cost of this residential visit is included in the course fees.
There are many diverse career opportunities available to you, and a postgraduate degree from UCB will improve your chances of success and career progression.
Why should I choose this course?
- UCB is a well-established and internationally-renowned provider of hospitality management courses.
- Our lecturers have a wealth of industry experience to draw from and keep up-to-date on industry developments as well as academic research.
- This degree is accredited by the University of Birmingham and has a strong industry and commercial focus.
- You will learn how to work in a managerial position within the hospitality industry and be aware of the contemporary issues and potential areas of growth within the sector.
- You will be able to evaluate the effectiveness of alternative hospitality and managerial approaches and appreciate the changing nature of the contemporary hospitality environment.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about University College Birmingham and the areas you are interested in studying. Discover more about our wide range of courses and cutting-edge facilities at our next postgraduate open day.
Accreditations and Endorsements
Teaching and assessment
Lectures, seminars and fieldwork will provide opportunities for you to explore concepts relevant to your study and you will also be analysing case studies as a way to understand the link between theory and sector practice.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways to encourage you to develop a range of skills. These include essays and reports, investigative fieldwork, case study analysis, presentations and simulation using industry-specific software.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
- MA/MSc - A grade classification of 2:2 is required or international equivalent
- PGDip - A grade classification of third-class is required or international equivalent
- A subject related UK or International honours degree from a recognised institution
- We also consider applicants who are currently employed and wish to apply to UCB.
- To apply, you must have 5 years of relevant managerial work experience, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of the sector for the subject matter you are interested in pursuing.
- A reference detailing your roles and responsibilities from your line manager and a meeting with the programme team will usually be scheduled prior to a place being offered.
If your degree is not related and you do not have relevant managerial work experience please contact admissions, so that we can discuss your application on an individual basis before you apply.
If you have any queries, please email:
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
If you want to get your foot in the door of a hospitality organisation, then this optional three to six-month placement will give you valuable experience, enhance your CV and may help your future employment prospects.
If you choose to do this placement, you will be supported by our highly experienced hired@UCB staff members who organise presentations and meetings with employers to help you identify the kind of placement you want. Whether your ideal work environment is overseas or somewhere in the UK, there is an extensive choice available.
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the international hospitality industry as well as giving you access to any career that requires a management qualification. Graduates have also gone on to start their own events, catering or hospitality businesses.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Hospitality and tourism planning
- A managerial position in a hospitality organisation
- Tourist attractions management
- Conference and exhibition management
- Events management
- Travel services management
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based in new facilities on the ground floor of Moss House, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
International Hospitality Management
International Hospitality Management