MSc / PGDip
- Course length MSc
- 18 months full-time / 2.5 years part-time
- Course length PGDip
- 1 year full-time / 2 years part-time
- Course length PGCert
- 6 months full-time / 1 year part-time
- Fees (Home/EU)
- View tuition fees
- Fees (International)
- View tuition fees
Our open days are a great opportunity to get an insight into our unique atmosphere and you will get to meet our staff and students. Our next Open Evening will be Wednesday 9 October 2019 - 5.30pm - 8pm. Book your place here.
This course is open for January and September 2020 entry only.
This Finance and Accounting course is ideal if you are thinking of changing career or want to further develop your skills and knowledge having previously studied a different discipline. You will develop the skills you need to be a strong decision-maker in an increasingly complex, global financial environment, and develop the ability to deal with accounting and finance-related challenges facing local and international organisations.
The experiential approach used in the delivery of the course encourages you to take on opportunities to engage with real-world business problems throughout your studies. Working with ACCA, CIMA and ICAEW, the course is designed to ensure you are highly skilled upon graduating and enables you to apply for exemptions from professional exams.
IT expertise, software skills and entrepreneurship are essential in an increasingly competitive market. Working closely with our delivery partners including NatWest, Santander, PWC and Grant Thornton, you will be exposed to the latest technology and become familiar with the digital tools used in the industry. You also have the opportunity to complete the Bloomberg Certificate (Bloomberg Market Concept) as part of your course.
Why should I choose this course?
- Our planned Bloomberg trading room (due for completion in 2019/20) will support the development of your skills in professional trading
- You will gain international entrepreneurship and finance experience, generously offered by the University, with trips to the US, Europe or the Middle East
- You will have the opportunity to work on live consultancy cases with local and international clients, for example, Fracino (UK), Hayward Tyler (UK), Avingtrans Plc, Nysora (Belgium), Alcaplast (Czech Republic), Disneyland Paris (France), France Volontaires (France), ADP Paris Airport (France) and PRIME (Israel)
- Close links with employers such as NatWest, Santander and accounting firms who have also been involved in the design and delivery of the course
- For your final project, you can research a topic that interests you and that is relevant to your intended future employment
- UCB is ranked #1 for Employability by AdvancedHE for postgraduate courses in business (out of 105 institutions in the UK)
Teaching and assessment
Modules are delivered as a combination of lectures, small group seminars, workshops, one-to-one tutorials, group projects and self-directed study. You are expected to participate and contribute to each session. Canvas is used as a virtual learning environment to support your study. You will also be expected to engage with independent reading and research to ensure an interactive and personalised learning experience.
Some guest lectures are delivered by professionals in various industries to validate the relevance of taught materials to real business problems. Some modules may be offered as a block format delivery to ensure that the industry expertise of our guest lecturers is effectively shared.
Assessments are a mixture of exams and coursework including presentations, case studies, online debates, assessed seminars, executive reports and numerical computations. The Bloomberg trading room is used in teaching and assessment to give you the best possible practical learning experience.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
- MA/MSc - A grade classification of 2:2 is required or international equivalent
- PGDip - A grade classification of 3:3 is required or international equivalent
- A subject related UK or International honours degree from a recognised institution.
- GCSE maths - Grade A*-C or 9-4, or equivalent Level 2 qualification
- We also consider applicants who are currently employed and wish to apply to UCB.
- To apply, you must have 5 years of relevant managerial work experience, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of the sector for the subject matter you are interested in pursuing.
- A reference detailing your roles and responsibilities from your line manager and a meeting with the programme team will usually be scheduled prior to a place being offered.
If your degree is not related and you do not have relevant managerial work experience please contact admissions, so that we can discuss your application on an individual basis before you apply.
If you have any queries, please email:
Optional Modules (choose 1):
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated,
the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs,
we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
There is an optional six-month placement available on the course.
Graduating with this course will enable you to work in any organisation, covering roles such as a financial analyst, payroll outsourcer, company secretary, forensic accountant and stockbroker.
Your degree would also be useful for the following roles:
- Business development manager
- Data analyst
- Licensed conveyancer
- Management consultant
- Mortgage adviser
- Purchasing manager
- Retail banker
- Tax adviser
- Financial consultant
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.