The UK Government has introduced immigration controls through the Points-Based System to strengthen border controls as well as to introduce greater transparency in the decision-making process of entry clearance/visa procedures by all British embassies overseas. The aim is to assist in eliminating discrepancies in the handling of visa applications that may exist between different countries.
As part of this, University College Birmingham has a number of new responsibilities and both parties (the University and the applicant) is responsible for ensuring we comply with the new rules in the Points-Based System. By issuing a student with a CAS, UCB is held responsible by the Home Office for ensuring the student starts, continues and finishes their studies at the University.
Students are responsible for complying with the immigration rules that allow them to enter the UK on student visas.
The immigration rules mean it is even more important for you to ensure the University knows if your circumstances change, particularly if that will mean any type of absence from UCB.
Under the new rules, UCB is obliged to report students to the Home Office in the following circumstances:
- If they don't enrol on to the course.
- If a student is absent from their course for more than 10 contact points (defined by UCB) without a member of staff's written permission.
- If a student discontinues their studies for whatever reason.
- If there are any significant changes to the student’s circumstances, e.g. if a student is required to extend their student visa for any reason.
- If UCB becomes aware the student is breaching the conditions of their student visa.
- If UCB receives any information that the student is engaging in terrorism or other criminal activity, we are obliged to report the student to the police.
The International Office will continue to post information on our website when available but if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Current students can visit the International Student Centre, located on the 2nd floor of the Link.