Points Based System

We suggest you check our web pages regularly to keep up to date with changes to the UK’s student immigration system and look at the websites we have provided below. If you have applied through the British Council or one of our local agents, you will also be able to ask them for advice.

Student visa applications are points-based: in other words, your application will be assessed against specific criteria set up by the UK Government. By consulting the Home Office website, it is possible to check that you have sufficient points to be granted entry to the UK before you make your application.

Tier 4 Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies Letter (CAS):

You will need to obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies number (CAS) before you can apply for a visa. You can obtain this from the International Student Centre after you have received an unconditional offer from the University and you are in a position to accept this offer.

You will need to provide the CAS when you make your application to the British Consulate or High Commission in your home country. It is important that you bear in mind that once the CAS has been issued, you will be expected to join the issuing institution, so if you change your mind you will need to contact International Admissions so the Home Office can be informed of your decision.

To gain a Tier 4 General Student visa, you will have to score points against two sets of objective criteria with an overall pass mark of 40 points:

  • 30 points are awarded for the CAS;
  • 10 points are awarded for the Maintenance and Funds Test. (You will have to show you have funds to pay the first year’s fees plus £9,135. This means you must be able to demonstrate you have, and have had for a minimum of 28 days, £9,135 plus any outstanding tuition fees for undergraduate or postgraduate courses. Please note that, before issuing you with a CAS, the International Student Centre will need to see acceptable evidence that you hold these funds in the right format.

You must also be studying on a full-time course, involving a minimum of 15 hours per week organised daytime study; or a course which includes a work placement element which is no more than 50% of the full course length if the course is at NQF Level 6 (a degree course or higher).

You must also choose whether you wish to undertake a work placement before your arrival in the UK. 

When you arrive at UCB to enrol, you must bring your original passport and visa with you, as well as a copy of your CAS and any qualifications we have listed on your CAS to assess your application.

As part of your application to UCB, you will be forwarded a visa application guide which goes into detail about your CAS, how to apply for your visa, which documents you must submit and other important information. To request a copy of this guide, please email international@ucb.ac.uk