Extending your Visa

If you need to extend your visa, you will need to complete a Home Office application form which you can obtain from the international student adviser, 7th Floor, International Office, Summer Row. At the time of writing, the Home Office charge £448 for an application made by post or £848 for an application made in person (applying within the UK). 

You should allow enough time (six to eight weeks) to prepare your application before the expiry date. If you apply after your permission to stay in the UK expires, then you have no right of appeal if the Home Office refuses your application for an extension. If you apply after the expiry date, you run the risk that you will be asked to leave the UK before your visa application can be considered. For more information, go to www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk 

Staff at the International Office will be able to send your visa application to the Home Office through the batch scheme (subject to certain conditions). If you use this service, your visa extension is likely to be processed more quickly than if you sent your documents yourself. If you have dependents in the UK, they are no longer included on your visa extension form. Your dependents will each have to complete a PBS Dependent application form.

For current students, Visa Extension Workshops are held regularly. To find out more about the workshops or book an appointment, please contact Jane Titcumb j.titcumb@ucb.ac.uk (telephone: 0121 232 2662).

For further information on how to extend your visa and documentation, go to: www.ukcisa.org.ukYou can also visit www.ukvisas.gov.uk - this is the UK Government’s website and offers all the information you need to complete your visa application. We strongly recommend that you read all the information on this website before making your visa application.

UKCISA (Council for International/Student Affairs) is an independent, non-profit organisation committed to promoting educational mobility and providing support to international students and the professionals who work with them. UKCISA provides expert information and guidance on key topics and answers many queries from prospective students from all over the world. We highly recommend that you look at UKCISA’s website www.ukcisa.org.uk