Healthcare in the UK

If you are an international student studying in the UK for six months or more, you are entitled to access the National Health Service (NHS) in the same way permanent residents can. This entitlement includes consultations with a doctor, usually known as a general practitioner (GP), and treatment in an NHS hospital, including emergency treatment free of charge.

Medical insurance

Even if you are entitled to free NHS treatment, it may be worth considering taking out insurance which covers extra costs. If you already have medical insurance in your home country, you should check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in the UK. Alternatively, you could consider taking out insurance with a reliable UK insurer such as Endsleigh, which offers special insurance policies for international students.

Registering with a doctor

If you are eligible for NHS treatment, you are entitled to register with a local doctor, also known as a general practitioner. We strongly recommend you do this as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK and do not wait until you are ill. Registering when you arrive in the UK will make it easier and quicker to see the doctor when you need to. The UCB nurse will advise you of this during induction.

Nurse and counselling service

The UCB nurse is available for advice on a wide range of health issues, including diet, exercise, immunisations and other confidential medical problems, as well as treating minor ailments. The nurse is based in the Student Information Suite on the 7th floor of the Summer Row campus building.

Please visit here for more information on how UCB supports your health and well-being.