Incoming Erasmus+ and International Exchange Students

University College Birmingham has long played host to exchange students from our partner institutions in the EU and worldwide.

How to apply

Students wishing to study at University College Birmingham as part of an ERASMUS+ student mobility exchange programme, or as an international exchange student from one of our international partners, should submit the following paperwork when they have been nominated by their exchange coordinators: 

  • Application form*
  • Draft Learning Agreement**
  • European Health Card
  • Two passport photos 

*The UCB Erasmus+/International Exchanges application form will be made available once you have been nominated by your home university’s exchanges coordinator. 

**Learning Agreement - please request a copy from your Erasmus+ or Student Exchanges Coordinator (in your home university).  

You are required to submit a provisional Learning Agreement showing your preferred list of modules in conjunction with your Erasmus+ or Student Exchanges Coordinator as soon as possible and no later than one month before arriving in the UK. Please also include alternative choices in case some of your first choices are no longer available. You will be allowed to study a maximum of four modules per semester. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee your preferred modules.

Submission deadline

2018/19 academic year

  • 30 June 2018 for Semester 1 and Full Year nominations
  • 30 November 2018 for Semester 2 nominations

All the forms must be printed, completed and signed where appropriate. Once completed they should be sent by post, or scanned by email, to the following address: 

Lynn Wain
University College Birmingham
7th Floor International Office
Summer Row
B3 1JB 


Please ensure the following are sent to Lynn Wain as soon as possible:

  • Completed application form.
  • Copy of EHIC or Private Health Insurance certificate.
  • Two passport-sized photos.

Your draft Learning Agreement must be submitted no later than one month before your arrival.


You can apply for accommodation at the University online. Find out more about our accommodation sites.

Before You Arrive

Getting Ready 

Going to live in a new city and studying at an institution in an unfamiliar country can be daunting as well as exciting. However, we will do everything we can to make the transition as smooth – and welcoming – as possible.

Do I Need a Visa?

Exchange students coming to UCB from outside the EU may need a study visa. We recommend that you apply for a Short-term study visa (formerly known as a Student Study Visa) for six months as this is relatively easy to obtain. Please note: you will be unable to work on this type of visa.

Where will you live? 

It is important to consider where you are going to live. Whether you would like to live in University-managed accommodation in modern, city centre surroundings, or would prefer private accommodation in the city or surrounding areas, we can help you. Please see our Accommodation section for more information. 


Will you need to open a bank account during your time in Birmingham? If so, talk to the local banks in your area and find out if they have links or agreements with any of the large UK banking institutions. Do not worry though as you will be given expert advice on how to open an account within a few days of arriving in Birmingham.

Personal Safety 

It is important for anyone living abroad to learn the best ways to keep safe in their new country. The British Council has compiled a personal safety guide especially for international students. It covers a range of issues from what to do in an emergency to driving in the UK. The personal safety guide is designed to make your stay as pleasant and problem-free as possible. Visit the Education UK website for the guide.


We look forward to meeting you in Birmingham. Find out more information about your new student city by visiting our Living in Birmingham section.


If you have any other questions, please contact us: 

By email: Lynn Wain, Erasmus+ and international Exchange Coordinator: 

In person: 7th Floor International Office, University College Birmingham, Summer Row, Birmingham, B3 1JB.

Orientation - January 2019

Orientation Programme -Sept 2018


The choice of modules depends on your course of study at your home institution. 

Please note that students will be able to study no more than 3 core modules totalling 30 ECTS per semester.

Language Support 

Language Support is a free proof-reading service offered to students who do not speak English as their first language and who are attending or have attended additional English classes. It ensures students produce the professional standards of written English required by their courses. Additional support is also available on structuring written work, referencing, academic writing style, CV writing and job applications. 

Fact sheet

You can download a PDF of the Erasmus+ fact sheet here.