Make-up Artistry Level 3
- Course length
- 1 year full-time
This course will prepare you to progress into the exciting world of make-up artistry for salon and commercial purposes. You’ll learn how to apply and master a variety of specialist make-up techniques and work with different make-up mediums.
While this course is focused on the commercial make-up industry rather than media, you will cover aspects of advanced make-up techniques for fashion and editorial purposes. As part of the comprehensive course, you will cover a small amount of media make-up to enhance the fashion and photographic unit, including body artistry, airbrush make-up techniques and camouflage make-up.
You will also have the opportunity to gain highly valuable, real-world experience of the commercial aspect of make-up through a work placement, which UCB will help you to organise.
Why should I choose this course?
- This course is for those individuals drawn to the make-up industry but not in the context of theatre or media
- If you want to work in the commercial make-up industry
- Ideal if you are good at working independently – but also like being part of a team
- If you are interested in further study – and the opportunity to specialise, this course provides an ideal platform.
Why maths and English are so important to your career
Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so that you can compete in today’s labour market and secure the career you’ve always wanted. Alongside your full-time course, you will continue to develop your English and maths skills. If you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16, you will continue to study these through resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
- Ratios are very important when mixing colour for body paint and camouflage, for example
- Basic addition and subtraction are important in calculating the costs of equipment/products and managing stock
- Percentages are key in working out customer discounts
- Area and perimeter are important when designing and arranging a studio space
- Accurate spelling and a wide and specialist vocabulary are key in the presentation of make-up and beauty products and services
- Good quality speaking and listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues
- Customer service skills require good English in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is a vital skill when following instructions for make-up/beauty products and treatments
- Secure English is important when preparing a CV or business proposal, or when advertising/marketing your business
Uniform and kit costs
This course incurs additional costs for uniform and kit. The approximate cost is £145. Please be aware that prices are subject to change each year. Exact costs, as well as information on how to order the required items, will be provided prior to enrolment.
You may be eligible for The Learner Support fund, which assists college students with course-related costs such as essential uniform equipment and travel. For more information, please visit our Financial Support for College Students page.
Teaching and assessment
Alongside training in a realistic working environment, the majority of your assessments will be practical, with some written assessment papers.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
- Ideally, you will require a relevant Level 2 qualification, ideally in one of the following subject areas: Cosmetic Make-up, Hair and Media Make-up, Beauty Therapy or Hairdressing, and ideally you will require 4 GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) or above.
- However, we also welcome applicants who are able to present an in-depth portfolio at interview. Places offered will depend on the standard and depth of the portfolio provided (at the lecturer’s discretion).
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report, which must include attendance.
- You should be committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed in the make-up and beauty industry.
If you do not have a grade 4 (grade C) or above in English and maths and you are under 19, you will be required to complete an assessment so we can ensure you receive appropriate support. Applicants over 19 are not required to complete maths and English.
Students are required to buy a uniform and set of equipment. To help keep costs to a minimum, these items are available to buy through UCB. If you have any concerns about the cost of the uniform, please discuss this at your interview as we may be able to help.
What will I study?
You will cover a series of topics including:
- Applying make-up
- Instruction on make-up
- Promoting products and services to clients in a salon
- Camouflage make-up
- Media make-up
- Designing and applying face and body art
- Fashion and photographic make-up
- Client care and communication in beauty related industries
- Monitoring and maintaining health and safety in the workplace
- Applying airbrush make-up to the face
Your study programme
In addition to your full-time course, every student has an individual study programme which ensures that you develop the right skills and experience to either progress onto higher education or gain employment. What’s included in your individual study programme will vary depending on what you have already achieved and your career aspirations.
For example, if you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16, you will continue to study these through resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level. Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so that you can compete in today’s labour market and secure the career you’ve always wanted.
Work placements will form an essential part of your individual study programme and all students will be expected to complete an appropriate work placement related to their full-time course.
To find out more about the work placement opportunities for this course, click on the ‘Placement’ tab above.
UCB’s links with make-up companies provide students studying Make-up Artistry with an ideal opportunity to experience the commercial aspect of the make-up world, working with brand make-up companies and studios offering make-up services in applying bridal and photographic make-up.
A work placement not only gives you valuable experience, it also:
- Helps you to put what you’re learning into practice
- Gives you a better understanding of how a company or organisation works
- Helps you to develop essential skills such as time management, social and communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Enriches your CV
At UCB we have a specialised team of Employability Tutors based in hired@UCB (located on the 7th floor at Summer Row) who will provide you with the necessary skills in order to source a work placement.
If you are passionate about your career choice, work placements are vital.
A set of achievements, skills, understanding and personal attributes make you more likely to gain employment and be successful in your chosen occupation, which benefits yourself and the workforce. It also:
- Enhances a UCAS application and personal statement, should you wish to progress to higher education
- Helps you to consider wider future employment opportunities
On completion of this Level 3 qualification, you will be ready to begin your career in the make-up industry in photographic studios, salons, as a freelance make-up artist or as a brand make-up specialist.
Alternatively, you could move on to a foundation degree or degree in Specialist Hair and Media Make-up at UCB.
The team at hired@UCB – our student placement and careers service – can help you with advice, information and guidance in finding a job. They can also help you develop your work-related skills.
Based in new facilities on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist staff to help with:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Alumni support
Find out more about hired@UCB services here.