Business Level 2 First Extended Certificate
- Course length
- 1 year full-time
Want to take the first step towards a future in business? Our Level 2 Business college course will provide you with an excellent introduction to this sector while giving you a widely-recognised BTEC qualification, opening the doors to a range of further study options and opportunities within the industry.
This course features a core of underpinning knowledge, skills and understanding along with a range of options to reflect the breadth of pathways within the business world. You will gain a broad understanding and knowledge of the business sector, investigate areas that interest you, and develop essential skills and attributes that are prized by employers. In addition to studying key topics such as enterprise, finance and marketing, you can explore a variety of other subjects ranging from recruitment and customer service to corporate social responsibility and business documentation.
Completing this course will earn you a Level 2 BTEC qualification that will provide you with the springboard to progress onto a BTEC National Level 3 in Business or Business and Finance, start an apprenticeship or launch your career in business by entering employment.
Why should I choose this course?
- BOOST YOUR SKILLS – Gain knowledge in a range of business-related topics as well as sought-after skills such as teamwork, presentation and creative thinking
- SPECIALISE YOUR STUDIES – Investigate subjects that interest you through optional units, including customer service, recruitment and managing personal finances
- RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION – Our BTEC Level 2 Business course gives you a recognised work-related qualification, opening the door to further study, employment and apprenticeships
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about University College Birmingham and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Why maths and English are so important to your career
Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so you can compete in today’s labour market and secure the career you have always wanted. Alongside your full-time course, you will continue to develop your English and maths skills. If you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16, you will continue to study these subjects by resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level. We will support you all the way, so there is no need to worry.
Strong mathematical skills are vital for success in business. For example, maths is important for:
- Understanding business finance
- Processing of large quantities of data
- Presenting information
- As with maths, good English skills are important in the world of business because:
- Good quality speaking and listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues and customers.
- Customer service requires good English skills in speaking and written communication.
- Accurate reading is vital for following instructions, reading documents and emails, and understanding the ideas, aspirations and demands of colleagues and competitors.
- Your use of English is important when preparing a CV and a business proposal, and for putting together advertising and marketing plans for your business.
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed through coursework assignments and projects, some of which will involve industry-related visits and external assessment.
25% of the qualification is externally assessed. Pearson sets and marks these assessments and the qualification is graded from Level 2 Pass to Level 2 Distinction*. Learners who do not achieve at Level 2 may achieve a grade of Level 1 Pass.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
- Normally, you will require a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade 3 (grade D) or above, including maths and English.
- Alternatively, you will require at least 2 years’ relevant work experience.
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report and references.
- You should be committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed.
- If you do not have a grade 4 (grade C) or above in English and/or maths and you are under 19, you will be required to complete an assessment so we can ensure you receive appropriate support.
- You will need to successfully complete an initial assessment.
What will I study?
- Enterprise in the Business World
- Finance for Business
- Principles of Marketing
- Principles of Customer Service
- Recruitment, Selection and Employment
- Using Business Documentation
- Working in Business Teams
- Work Experience in Business
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Managing Personal Finances
Your study programme
In addition to your full-time course, every student has an individual study programme which ensures that you develop the right skills and experience to progress onto either higher education or gain employment. What’s included in your individual study programme will vary depending on what you have already achieved and your career aspirations.
For example, if you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16, you will continue to study these through resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level. Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so that you can compete in today’s labour market and secure the career you’ve always wanted.
Alongside your studies, you will undertake two work placements, completing ten full working days over two separate one-week blocks.
A work placement not only gives you valuable experience, it also:
- Helps you to apply what you’re learning to practice
- Gives you a better understanding of how a company or organisation works
- Helps you to develop essential skills such as time management, social and communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Enriches your CV
- Enhances a UCAS application and personal statement should you wish to progress to higher education
- Helps you to consider wider future employment opportunities
At University College Birmingham, we have a specialised team of employability tutors based in hired@UCB (located in Moss House) who will provide you with the necessary skills in order to source a work placement.
If you are passionate about your career choice, work placements are vital. A set of achievements, skills, understanding and personal attributes make you more likely to gain employment and be successful in your chosen occupation, which benefits you and the workforce.
You may be attracted to roles in customer service, human resources, business administration, finance and marketing.
You may also want to build on your knowledge and take a BTEC National Level 3 in Business or Business and Finance, which could lead to higher paid jobs in the future.
The team at hired@UCB – our student placement and careers service – can help you with advice, information and guidance in finding a job. They can also help you develop your work-related skills.
Based on the ground floor of our Moss House campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist staff to help with:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Unitemps – our University recruitment agency
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Alumni support
Find out more about hired@UCB services.